Thursday, May 06, 2010

the Thompsons Have Fun

Field trips just don’t happen often for the Thompsons.  The sheer number of my children overwhelms me, and it is easier and cheaper to stay at home.  But after our last fun trip to the Farmer’s Market, a woman in our church said she would like to come along next time we went.  And we went on Tuesday with her.  She pushed the little girls in a cart, the boys went from one exciting thing to the next, and I actually got to shop. 

Bradford came prepared with his pliers?!  Of course you need pliers to eat snow crabs legs, which I promised to buy him after refusing the request last time we went.  They didn’t have them this time, so he settled for blue crab, and he acknowledged that Monster was not the ideal place for consuming them.  The kids tried their hand at them when we got home, and the last lonely crab is sitting on a plate in my freezer.

His weirdest request was for sheep tongue, and he even offered to pay for it himself.  Like I’m going to prepare sheep tongue for him to eat!  It’s enough to move me to vegetarianism.  Well, almost. 

I could give up a lot of meat, but not burgers.  I’m too American, I guess, but a burger topped with blue cheese, tomato, and sauteed mushrooms and onions on a toasted bun moves me to raptures of delight, and if there is a side of buttered corn on the cob, as there was the night of our trip, I’m completely undone. 

While Mark was preparing our delightful corn and lamb, beef, and buffalo burgers, and I was preparing the buns and the Salad That Only Mom Liked, the kids re-discovered the delights of honeysuckle.  It was a beautiful evening, and I topped it off with a great run of the neighborhood.

No comments: