
The coat on the left is the one Grace chose for herself, and I’m making it in a wine-colored fleece. Today I cut it out, and my resident rat snatched up every bit of scrap fabric to make things for his stuffed animals. I ended up with quite a bit of extra fleece, and rather than see it cut and sewn into tents, sleeping bags, pillows, and the like for every animal in the house, I decided to buy a bit more and make the twins coats as well. Matching dresses, matching coats—how nice.
Anyway, since Bradford wouldn’t share much with his brothers, I promised Ben he could have the leftovers after I used as much of this fabric as I could. He ended up with quite a bit, and he and Nate began to “real sew” pouches and belts and such for their sisters. Bradford came in and thought a particular piece of fabric was his and snatched it from Ben. I convinced Bradford to take another lovely scrap in order to make a sleeping bag for Fofer (his stuffed owl that has faux fur. Faux fur. Fofer. It’s a Bradford thing). He, however, didn’t want to sew anything else by hand, so I offered him the use of my machine. Now we’re talking.
Bradford ended up making several sleeping bags, and I converted one of them into a drawstring pouch for Grace. Ben wanted to try his hand at sewing a pouch, too, and I replaced the slightly bent needle (how did that happen?) and demonstrated. He did the next one on his own. Later, we couldn’t find Ben, and where do you think he was?! Sewing! I guess we may have future tailors on our hands, or just boys who think it’s fun to be able to use a machine.
As for knitting, Ben wants to learn that, too. He thinks the skill would come in handy when he’s in prison; he’ll knit a rope from dental floss. I suggested a scarf, and although not nearly as interesting as a dental floss rope, it would be more useful in the meantime. Guess Ben and I are learning to knit next year. If he helps me, we may even get scarves made for the entire family. Or lots and lots of rope.
Snip. Snap. Sew. Knit. Snout. This tale’s told out.
2 comments:
I am so impressed! After taking my very BASIC sewing lessons I can't believe the boys are working the machine! GO Jennifer!!!
Also SUPER impressed on the coats...I am still happy with my very simple apron I made! Can't wait to do more! I am going to pull out my grandmother's old machine after Christmas (Hope it still works)!!!
What is Ben planning to do to get himself incarcerated?!
Post a Comment