Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Jeni Feels Less Like Eeyore

Okay.  Sorry about that last horrid note.  I feel your prayers on my behalf, and life doesn’t look quite as bleak.  The first few days of a new school year are always a bit rough—trying to figure out how much can and should be reasonably accomplished in a day, tweaking the schedule to best accommodate the needs of the entire family, getting everyone to pull their weight with chores.  If you have ever managed a large household and homeschooled a bunch of kids, you can feel my pain, and if you haven’t, you can probably imagine it. 

So I was talking to Mark about it, and I told him the good news was at our present rate of progress, Ben would be finished with spelling forever by, oh, about next Tuesday.  And he wants Mark to assign him a report to write.  I like the sound of that!

And the other really good thing about Mark having the last two days “off” is he has seen first-hand exactly how I’m spending my time with the kids, and he is better able to suggest more efficiency, help out, or tell me what to drop.

Things that I should do differently next year:

1.   Have more frozen meals available.  Right now I’m trying to use up what is in my pantries, refrigerator, and freezer, which means I must be more creative and spend more time with menus than I did in the spring.  Hopefully next week we’ll be able to jump into our summer meal plan so my work is mostly done.

2.   Scrub the kitchen drawers and cabinets BEFORE school begins.  I have been battling Indian Meal Moths that came in the birdseed and found their way into my kitchen, and I’m hoping to win the war ere long. But until all the hidden ones hatch and are killed, and until all the potential food sources are eradicated, I must be vigilant and keep cleaning and scrubbing.

To show you how completely relaxed I now am, I’ll post a few more random pictures.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sock on Sadie's arm scared me for a second. I though it was a cast! :\