Saturday, August 01, 2009

Jeni Has Tea With the Twinkles

This was a bittersweet day for me. Never again will I be able to have tea on a Saturday morning with my two-year old Twinkles, because next Saturday they will be three years old. Hopefully they won’t realize they are three, because they will be certain to ask for their Purple (and Pink) Princess Running Clothes. Yes, they want to get in on the running action of the family, and Sadie has requested Purple Princess Running Clothes for her birthday. She even shows me how she’s going to run in them, running from the school room to the living room. Of course, whatever Sadie wants in purple, Sophie wants in pink. They now have official colors, and everything they see that is “their” color MUST belong to them, right? Which explains why Sophie, who has no need whatsoever for a folder, carries a pink folder around the house. When I see it again, I’m going to snatch it and put it in my folder drawer so I can keep pertinent information about her in it—and threaten her with tar and feathering if she takes it out. Poor Patie gets no choice at all—she’s stuck with orange as her color, whether she likes it or not.

I digress. This morning after I got back from my amazing trail run (aren’t all the trail runs amazing?!) of the longest distance I have yet to cover at one time, Mark took the four oldest, arrayed in their Not-Purple Not-Princess running clothes, to run on our amazing trails. The Twinkles were content to stay with mommy and have tea, but only because they don’t yet have the aforementioned running clothes. The tea was lovely. We had Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tea and graham crackers. The girls drank from their Candy Cane and Frosty the Snowman cups. I uploaded some photos to Facebook of the event, including the ones with their hands in the tea cups.

Now back to those running clothes. I took Ben and Nate out yesterday to run errands with me, and while at Wal-Mart we went to the little girls section and I instructed the boys to look for purple princess running clothes. Ben came up to me about forty seconds later, and I jokingly asked if he had found them. He said he thought so, and he had! Really cute scooter skirts in red (for Grace), pink (Sophie), and purple! I bought white shirts to go with them, and I hope to get them embroidered before their birthday party. They are just darling! Then on our way home we measured out a quarter-mile from our house, the plan being that Ben, Bradford, and/or Nathaniel can run with the girls in their princess running clothes.

The boys are so excited about the purple princess running clothes that they will probably let the twins know when their birthday arrives, but the party will have to wait until Uncle Jerry and Aunt Valerie come to visit. The day will begin with a trip to Starbucks where the twins will have coffee (or Frosty-No-Man-Cinos) with Uncle Jerry. Then hopefully we’ll have a party for all our late summer birthday children at a horse stable near here, and they’ll all open their gifts. But I have a feeling the purple princess running clothes will already have been used several times by then.

And now we have to do some cleaning or figure out what we need to do for dinner, so off we go.

2 comments:

Compleat Mom said...

Thats adorable. Tell the twinkles happy birthday for me! :D

Compleat Mom said...

That last message from Compleat Mom was from her Compleat Daughtie Grace. :-)