Mama hawk is sitting on her eggs. I can't see the eggs, but according to the bird book, there are 2-4 in the nest, and they are white with dark markings. [How do we learn these things--WHO climbed 50 feet into a tree with nesting hawks to look at those eggs?] Anyway, they're in my yard, so I have the joy of watching them.
I saw them fly from tree to tree house hunting earlier this year, and I saw them land together on what was to be their summer home. They both worked on the nest, biting or tearing off small branches and stacking them just so to make it just right. Once the male brought a branch with a vine attached to it. He was calling to his mate from the other side of the neighborhood, and he landed on a tree limb not far from the nest. The female went to inspect his potential contribution, and it evidently was not to her liking, for I saw it fall to the ground.
Now, though, they are sitting on the eggs [according to the bird book, both help in the incubating]. The one who is not incubating is often flying near, warning others in a hawky kind of way to stay clear. I, for one, will not bother them. I'll just enjoy watching them--without binoculars, for I cannot find ours. They are somewhere in my house in a safe place.
Why can I take the time to tell you about my pets? Because Mark has the four older kids at the Pinewood Derby Race. I'm down to two babies, one very grumpy (again) and one very cute. Currently they are sitting beside one another in their high chairs, playing with toys and chatting. I wonder what they are saying... did Mom put you down to a nap before you were ready, too? Well, I screamed until she came for me, but she sure wasn't quick about it. How do your toys taste? I wish mine weren't attached to the high chair. Maybe if we start fussing she'll come feed us... you go first.
So now I'm off to feed my babes. Tally-ho.
2 comments:
Love their conversation. That is neat that you can watch the hawks from your window.
That's wonderful that the kids are well enough to be out and about again, and that you can enjoy some time without them.
It's so weird to think about the twins sitting in high chairs! I definitely have to come up again before they grow up too much!
Post a Comment