Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Ben and Nate Take Initiative

Mark took the boys out yesterday to run a few errands so I could clean up the house a bit and rest. They looked for fireworks, but none were to be found. Ben was not daunted. "Let's make fireworks," he said to Nathaniel, and so they did. It consisted of little colored pieces of paper rolled up into a bigger piece of paper that was taped shut. Letting it off was fun, too. They turned off the lights, and Bradford pointed the flashlight at them while Ben ripped it open and threw the confetti all over. Then they danced in the flame of the flashlight until mommy declared the firework to be dead.

Now they are working at the dining room table fashioning more fireworks for tonight. Bradford and Grace are working on laundry together, and I'm able to steal a few minutes to write about our lives.

Grace is still as cute as ever when she's good-tempered. On Sunday she began the worship service between Mark and me, and when Mark tried to hold my hand behind her, she promptly removed my hand and replaced it with her tiny one. I then asked her if she wanted to sit on daddy's lap. She climbed up and promptly fell asleep.

Nathaniel went with daddy (and brothers) on Saturday to get some new church clothes. He was down to one dirty, bedraggled suit and one ready-for-a-flood 3T outfit. It turns out that Mark is as much a pushover as I am. They were having a great sale at Dillard's, so Nathaniel ended up with a blue suit jacket and three outfits. One was an adorable shorts set, but when Nathaniel refused to wear it to church on Sunday Mark said he'd take it back. He did, and came home with no less than 3 dresses for Grace to try on! Now he has to take two of those back and continue looking for a replacement navy jacket for Bradford.

I don't think I've mentioned we are learning Spanish together. We do the lessons in the afternoon, and it has come in handy that I have a Spanish-speaking husband to ask questions of in the evening. I am more excited about this than the kids, I think. After only two lessons I can already say "The big mother is eating an egg." How handy is that!?!

And now, even though I can't say it in Spanish, the big mother needs to check on her children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't the fireworks holder fill the bag also with air at the last moment and smack it apart with his hand, making a big noise, like a firework, as well? Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the light moment.

SomeOne said...

I'll pass your suggestion along, Debby. The boys will be thrilled to add a bit of noise to the excitement of making a mess!