Tuesday, March 17, 2026

Jeni is Promised a Third Job

I am currently employed by Timothy Ministry as a hall monitor. Especially when my week was full of caring for my ailing mother who had Parkinson's and Parkinson's Dementia, sitting in a quiet hall monitoring the occasional student who walked by was peaceful. A calm in the storm. But once my mom passed into glory, my stress levels decreased to such a level that I no longer need that peaceful calm as I once did. When the leadership team asked if I would be an assistant in a Chemistry class, I said "sure." And then the cat was out of the bag... I was not afraid of substitute teaching. So a few weeks later they asked if I could fill in for a Bible teacher. Same answer. And again when they needed someone to run the labs for a teacher who would teach via Zoom for her chemistry and physical science classes. The funniest perhaps was the day they asked "are you musical?" and when I replied "I play the flute and oboe; I can read music and sing passably," they asked "how would you feel about teaching ukulele?" "Sure, I answered. I have a ukulele here. I'll just go learn it today to be ready for tomorrow." And so I did. The kids evidently thought it was noteworthy that I only learned to play the day before. By far the most fun was the day I got to judge a debate round. Yes, that is definitely in my wheelhouse. Today they asked again if I would fill in for the physical science teacher as she needed to take her vomiting child home. Turns out her dad was going to come pick her up instead, so I offered to sit with her rather than teach a class I was not prepared for. Poor girl. She was not feeling so well, and I distracted her with tales of my children and the LegoLand Trip until her stomach settled a bit, and then I asked her to help me with my homeschooling contract. I'll get to that later...
    
Sidetracked. I was sidetracked, because I said I was promised a third job, and I went on a rant about monitoring and how that crept into my subbing and judging and telling stories of vomit. But about eight weeks ago I presented a new class idea for Timothy Ministry to consider. And when I asked about it two weeks ago, the director said she was adding it to the line up of classes! I am so excited. I think it will only be one class for the first year, unless it is so wildly popular that they need to open a second class. Since that will probably not be the case, I will teach one hour, and then the rest of the time I will monitor. I guess it's really like job 2.5 rather than a full third job. Regardless, I am excited about it. 

No comments: