Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Jeni Sews Some More

Here we are, still living at my parents’ house in order to care for her dog, whom I’m happy to report is now sleeping with the kids instead of Mark and me, and I am taking advantage of my mom’s sewing machine. 

When a local Wal-Mart had all fabric 50% off, I went a little crazy.  I feel an obligation to use that fabric, and I am happy to report a fine beginning.  Sadie was with me that night and wanted lavender fabric with glittery silver stars on it.  Cheese-ey!  Since they also had pink in the same pattern, she convinced me that Sophie should have pink, too, since that is her color.  Well, that fabric is now two ruffled dresses and matching pantaloons.  I had never used this pattern before, and although it was easy enough to do, I don’t love it.  The size 3 fits Grace and the twins will need to wear a shirt under it.  I shortened the dress and lengthened the pantaloons and made Grace a really cute outfit, too, using up some more of my cool, hippy-looking Wal-Mart fabric.  Pictures will eventually be posted, probably when they can wear the dresses.

I began sewing last year so I could make the girls matching clothes, but four of anything is a lot.  I would get so tired of sleeves, for instance.  What started out as a fun hobby turned into a means to an end, a process to be endured and gotten through as quickly as possible in order to enjoy the final product.  I began sewing this week with a different attitude.  I actually enjoyed the process, and I wasn’t in a hurry.  I stopped sewing to play with the embroidery function.  I learned how to use the button foot so my buttons could be sewed on by machine.  I stopped to make cookies, blog, admire my creations on willing models, and read books to those models.  In short, I’ve had fun. 

And more fun awaits me.  I need to get pantaloons done for under the twins’ Easter dresses, which I also made this week, and I need to at least cut out the Patie-bug’s dress.  Then I’ll put my brain to deciding on a pattern for the Summer Romp of 2010, when we go to Mississippi and all the girls, including a cousin, wear matching dresses or outfits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You had best make good on your promise of pictures!

You are so blessed to have daughters! EASTER DRESSES?!? That about sent me over the edge, drooling. Those of us with only boys don't get that sort of fun... so you enjoy it twice as much for those of us with only male offspring!