Saturday, February 13, 2010

Jeni Becomes Her Own Food Show

I’ve heard about a food show whose premise is letting the chefs know what few things you have in the pantry, and they must make something amazing with it.  My food show is similar—my mother tells me to “use things up” from her kitchen and freezer, so I’m trying my best to do it. Whether or not the food is amazing depends on your definition and taste, I guess.

We’re living here for the week to take care of the dog.  After one night, I am convinced that whatever pets we might try, both now and in the future, a dog will not be on that list.  She’s cute and all, until about 11 p.m. when I want to go to bed.  She moaned.  and whimpered.  And finally, at 12:45 a.m., Bradford came and asked me to do something about the dog, because she was growling and barking at them for sleeping in Grandma’s bed.  Errr.  I put her next to me, where she trembled for the next twenty minutes.  Then at 6:30, she began growling at Mark to take her potty.  Um, yeah.  I did the 12:45 thing with her, so it was his turn. 

And my kids, who will easily sleep until 8:30 at home were wide awake at 7:00 here.  Because of Grandpa’s alarm going off at 6:30.  I’m raising my rate.

But the deal is while we’re here, we are supposed to help her use up pantry and freezer items.  One family of 9 can make a bigger dent in one week than 2 can make in a month.  Tonight I’m using

  1. 2 packages of chicken tenders which have been in the freezer for a loooong time
  2. 2 opened, partially used stuffing mixes
  3. 17 bags of shredded cheese, each open and containing about 2 Tablespoons of cheese
  4. 1 can of cream of chicken
  5. some wine
  6. onion

Hope it tastes okay. And now to decide what to do with a container that is marked “Egg Roll Filling.”  I’m thinking heated and tossed over thai noodles with sauteed chicken.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl.

We are finally, and I mean FINALLY, pet-free. Our beloved (really, she was) family dog we lost a few weeks ago.

That said...

I will NEVER and I mean NEVER EVER go back to having pets. Holy cow. They take so much time, energy and MONEY. You've got your hands full with your shockingly long-lived frogs. That's all you need on your plate!

So even though you're saying that "dog" isn't on your potential pets-we-may-own-someday "list," I'm saying

BURN the list!

(But that's just me!)