Before breakfast this morning I took care of another 56 things, and afterwards another 28. Yesterday I easily did 84 things, which means I’m good for six days. As laundry gets cleaned, I will determine which clothes to keep and which to give.
At this point in the challenge, I am simply walking around the house and things are practically jumping into the bag. It’s really too easy. I think though, that once the clothes the children do not like or wear are gone, we will have decisions between good and best to make. My goal for the clothes is for the children to have 4-5 play outfits, 2 nicer don’t-want-to-look-like-we-wear-the-same-stained-clothes-everyday outfits, and at least 2 outfits for church.
My clothes are a bit trickier, because I’m not sure how much more weight I will lose, so I’m not sure if I should hold on to my thin clothes longer or not. I just purged my clothes a few weeks ago, too, but I still think I could purge another 28 things that just aren’t my style or are now too big for me.
Books are another matter. As a homeschooling mom of seven who hates not being able to find the books she needs at the library when she needs them, and has trouble getting to the library at all, we have a lot of books. Not a crazy lot, but a lot. I’ve already purged the stupid cartoon-based baby board books, but I’ll bet there are 56 books that I either won’t read to the children because I hate them, or are falling apart, or we just don’t like or read. I know for sure there is 1 on my nightstand. I thought I was buying a book about the first Roman Catholic priest to go to China. What I got was some romance novel about shipping magnates in America, Britain, and China during the 1860s. One chapter was enough to convince me this book was not salvageable in any way, so out it goes. Which means I need to find another 55 books to go.
By my calculations, doing the above-mentioned things should get us to day 14 or so. Not sure what will leave after that, but I’m sure I’ll let you know what it is. The simplicity and freedom are certainly huge motivators.
1 comment:
Thanks for writing this, Jeni. It will help me to do some more purging in Bekah's closet.
Our school room is in dire need of a purging too.
~Karen~
Post a Comment