Thursday, November 12, 2009

Jeni Is Grateful, but Not Dead

Contrary to my recent wishes, I did not leave earth, but was again reminded of my favorite quote of all time:

"... as men in war or sickness are surprised to find how much can be borne: ' it will drive us mad,' 'it will kill us outright,' we say; and then it happens and we find ourselves neither mad nor dead, still held to the task."
- CS Lewis

So here I am, on the other side of my funk and wondering what all the fuss was about, sheepishly ashamed to admit it really was nothing at all.  And it never is, and never should be, but I am frail and forgetful.

And poor Mark:  he calls to tell me that he feels like a train has run over him and he feels like emptying his stomach contents onto the floor and I start crying about, well, nothing.

And my dear friend Beth assures me of my lunacy, and all’s well that ends well. 

P.S.  May I suggest that my boys are of all boys most fortunate in God’s choice of father for them?  Added to the many wonderful qualities that make Mark an excellent father is his reading aloud to them before bed each night.  I choose the books that I think particularly suited to be read by the dad, and he reads and loves them.  He finished King’s Arrow last night while they were cleaning up from dinner, and tonight, if he feels well, he will begin Rebel’s Keep.  This has become a favorite time of the day for them all.

No comments: