It's hard to believe that one week ago I was almost completely comatose after having labored all night long. Here we are, though, a week later, and we're doing well. Patience is getting cuter every day, and I'm getting a little more sleep.
My in-laws kept various assortments of the older kids at my parents' house during the week, and honestly, not having the twins climbing on me and their new sister probably did more for my recovery and sanity than anything else. My midwife also gave strict instructions not to eat any sugar until Christmas day, so emotionally I'm doing better than I have done with previous babies--still a bit weepy at times, but no full-blown depression.
The reaction of the twins to their new sister was interesting. Sophie loves the baby, I'm sure, but she may love her to death if I don't keep a close watch--she has already sat on her and hit her on the head. Sadie is more gentle, always asks where the baby is, and cries when I make them go away from her. Sadie also needs more reassurance that Mommy still loves her, and she has been very cuddly.
Grace loves her baby, too. She likes holding her for short periods of time, and she likes choosing her outfits. Since the baby's birth she seems older and more helpful than ever before.
The boys are boys. Benjamin commented that he doesn't get to hold her very much, so I guess I'll have to schedule some baby holding time in for him at least. Nathaniel and Bradford like her fine, and Bradford was interested in what her meconium looked like, but for the most part they could take her or leave her.
I've made Mark sleep in Ben and Nate's room so he gets a full night's sleep, so he is doing great, too. After the caroling on Sunday afternoon, his responsibilities are over until next year, and we plan to enjoy our time as a family of 9 during his break. Nine! Lots of people in my circle of acquaintances have large families, so I usually don't think much of it, but for some people 7 kids is unimaginable. And frankly, I can't imagine having seven children without the strong support of my parents and my church family.
I'll try to post more pictures next week to show off Patie's dark hair and cute Christmas outfits. Until then, fare thee well.
4 comments:
Woohoo! I'm glad everything's going so well. And I love how you call her Patie.
And as for being a mom of seven... yeah, I didn't think of that either until just now. Holy cow, woman. You're amazing.
Your description of the boys' reactions made me laugh. Bradford is so weird! ;)
So she really has dark hair, huh? Did any of your other babies have dark hair? Do you think it'll stay that way?
Can't wait to see more pics. Miss you and love you! :)
Thanks for keeping us updated on your precious new one, and the rest of the gang too! Happy New Year!
Hey I was just browsing around on the Atl Christian HBs and followed your link over here. Glad to see you are doing good as of this last post. I can't wait 'til the home birth group starts meeting again and I can meet some more people including you. Its always great to have some experianced mamas around to help us of less experiance.
Carrie
Post a Comment