Thursday, August 21, 2008

Bradford Decides What Instrument He Wants to Play

I have never told my children what instrument they must play, or should play, except to tell them they will have one year of piano instruction before leaving the house. Imagine my surprise then, when Bradford told me he wanted to play French Horn. According to everyone who knows, it is the hardest instrument to play well, requires diligence and attention, and in just about every way does not seem to suit Bradford. Knowing this, I did not try to dissuade him, but dutifully checked out the prices for buying or renting a French Horn. Rental was something insane like $60 a month, decent beginner ones ran about $1200-$1800, and even knowing this, I did not tell him no, but prayed.

Knowing how fickle he is, and knowing I was not going to spend lots of money on a French Horn only to hear him ask to play a different instrument a few months later, I told him he could decide for sure at the instrument fitting for his band. Then my sister suggested he go with her to orchestra practice at her church to see and hear and possibly try out different instruments. Great idea. Inspired idea, actually. He would go with her the following Wednesday.

Then on the Sunday prior to his going to practice with Aunti M, I got a message from the homeschool band group saying someone had a used trombone for sale for $100. I ignored it, because even though the price was good, I didn't need a trombone. Here's where the story gets a little less Presbyterian, perhaps. When I awoke on Monday morning, I had a strong impression which would not leave me that I was to buy that trombone if it were still available. Not knowing why, but thinking maybe one of my seven children would play it, I emailed the seller telling her I wanted it and was it available, and she responded that it was available and was mine for the taking.

Great, I thought. Not only do I have to spend over a thousand dollars on a French Horn, I've just committed to buying an unneeded trombone as well.

Fast forward to Wednesday evening orchestra practice. Bradford loved going, loved hearing and seeing the instruments and how a real orchestra practiced, loved talking with the instrumentalists, many of whom are band directors, loved playing a note on the tuba, and somehow came home with the notion he was not going to play any instrument other than a...can you guess?... of course you can. He wanted to play trombone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool. :)

Anonymous said...

That made me smile. God's providence (even in the little things) is so wonderful. :)

Amy Ross said...

I love it! Even if it is a little less Presbyterian :)

Valencia Briggs Photography said...

It sounds Presbyterian to me...it was predestined! LOL!
Alesia is trying her lungs out on a Clarinet. She is commited for the school year!