For the 2008-2009 school year, we are intentionally memorizing Bible verses, catechism, and poetry. This week's poem is Trees, by Joyce Kilmer, and the boys don't particularly like it. One of them told daddy he should not make his students memorize it, because they wouldn't like it, either.
But memorize it they will, and at the dinner table last night after they each quoted what they knew of it so far, Ben said he didn't think Joyce Kilmer was a Christian. Of course I know nothing about Joyce Kilmer's soul, but in her poem she acknowledges God as the Creator, and sees her own and all poets' talent but a poor reflection of what He does perfectly in his creation. Mark was a bit confused, too, as to why he would come to such a conclusion, and asked Ben why he thought she wasn't a Christian.
"Because, Ben said, she wrote 'lifts HER leafy arms to pray.' That's ridiculous."
We immediately burst into laughter, and Mark replied, "She's obviously a pantheist."
And Ben obviously has not a poetic nature.
1 comment:
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me visiting your website. I saw a note of yours on your friend SEB's blog. I enjoy your accounts of your wonderful children.
I was intrigued by your comments on Joyce Kilmer, as he was mentioned in my 7th grade music class where the teacher said, more or less, that Trees is a beautiful poem but it shouldn't be set to music. Have you ever heard it sung?
The other thing that is surprising, as it was to me, Joyce Kilmer was a man. You can read the little biography of him on Wikipedia. He was killed while in the US Army during WW I.
The other interesting thing to me was that we had one of his distant relatives as our tree trimming man
(and he could cut them down as well). Fortunately for the trees he has retired. :-)
Post a Comment