Sunday, July 08, 2007

Jeni Is Led Into a Ministry

At our current church, I have felt very pressured to do something in the actual church building. Teach Sunday School, maybe, or at least work in the nursery or help with VBS. Problem is, I don't feel led to do any of those things. Now, however, I do feel led into ministry at the actual church building, but the ministry is not currently recognized, organized, or overseen. Maybe in some churches I could get a name for my ministry and/or a budget line, but I doubt it. I call it the Cry Room Ministry.

A few Sunday nights ago, I was in the Cry Room with my babies when a woman I had never seen came up with her little girl. We exchanged the necessary baby information, and before I knew it I was listening to her story about having to change churches because their former pastor was preaching against homeschooling, how she is having a hard time adjusting from a very strict, conservative church to freedom in Christ, and so on, and I was able to encourage her because I've been there, done that. She nearly started crying on me. I've not seen her again, but I can only hope that I encouraged her to follow boldly as her husband moved them to a different church and to rejoice in the new freedom she will discover.

And then there was last week. I went up with my babies only to be greeted by a puppy (yes, a puppy), 5 kids, and a slightly frazzled mom. Looooong story short, we were able to minister to them as well.

Tonight as I went up I prayed that God would send the person that he wanted me to minister to. I had seen a young couple with a baby come in, and I thought maybe she would come up. But God had a different plan. Same woman as last week, minus the puppy and a couple of kids came in near the end. I prayed with her, and I ask you to pray for her and her family as well. Oh, my, do they need it. Her name is Debby. Her husband's name is Rich, and they have six children, two dogs, and a cat.

I'm excited that God is using me in my season of crying, wiggling, talking babies to encourage and help other moms of crying, wiggling, talking babies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that sounds to me like a more important ministry than helping with VBS or Sunday School. God bless you (and your crying, wiggling, talking babies)!

Julie said...

I enjoy hearing how God uses people. And it's always an ideal fit. Good job, Jennifer, you sound just right for the job. Your gifts and talents will be used very nicely for the Lord.

Shannon said...

Amen! Ditto to becky and julie - I couldn't have said it better myself... so I won't! :) Shan

Anonymous said...

Love your story! Hope ya'll are doing well!

Unknown said...

You're where God's calling you! Now if I could only learn from this!

Miss you all very much -- and miss your "food" minstry too! Yum Yum! I'm sure I wouldn't recognize the first four. I'm sure they've each grown a foot! And the pictures I see of the two little ones -- they're adorable!