Saturday, May 06, 2006

Jeni Outlines How to Keep a House (Almost) Perfectly Clean

It is very simple. You just pack everything up and move out. Then you clean and paint.

Ha. THAT WAS A JOKE! I don't need comments telling me how to really do it, or telling me it doesn't matter, or even giving me sympathy, because in all seriousness, I think we're doing a pretty good job, all things considered. I'm not going to bore you with how I get and keep my house clean and tidy and ready to show at a moment's notice, either. If you want to know that, you'll have to email me.

Mark had an extra first grade SAT booklet, and when he told Ben about it, Ben got excited and wanted to take the test. Weird kid. He's done almost all of the sub-tests, and he was disappointed that we're not going to give him the Bible portion of the test. He wanted to take it, but Mark told him some of the questions were not quite right. That is politely stated. One of the questions would lead a kid to believe that his long hair gave Samson his strength, and another said point blank that the story of Joseph teaches us how to treat others who are mean to us! Nowhere did it ask what is the chief end of man, or what the Scriptures teach, or what is the third (or fifth, or eighth) commandment. No, Ben. I'm not wasting our time on it.

Bradford has done okay on the parts he has taken, much to our surprise. He answered one question today that asked which word was made up of two words... under... birthday... sparkle. He pointed to birthday, and then asked if he was right. Yes, I told him, that was right. Good, he said, he hadn't read them, but he guessed because it was the longest. My faith in this test waned at that point. Bradford would do okay because he's a good guesser, and Ben wouldn't do as well as he should because he was going too fast.

Mark needs on-line for something of true importance, so this post is officially over.

7 comments:

MouseAnne said...

Bradford it too cute. Tell him that Auntie M says when he is preparting for college he needs to take a quarter with him when he takes the SATS or ACTS. That way he can flip a coin to decide on an answer. That is what I did on my SAT... of course that could be why I scored so low.

Susan said...

They are wonderful. Ben is my current hero for his Bible study routine...

I like the quarter idea.

Anonymous said...

It is too horrid of you to begin to describe how to keep a house clean while showing it for sale (while having small children homeschooling in the home) and then not reveal your true secrets! Bad friend!

:)

~Kolbi

SomeOne said...

Yes, Mouse. I'm sure the quarter was your downfall. What about all those questions with more than one answer. You're supposed to use the second hand of a watch: 15 seconds each for A,B,C, and D. or 20 seconds each for A,B, and C.

Susan, he now does his checkmark routine during the sermons at church, right after he finishes the word search daddy makes for him.

Kolbi, I've already told you about my secrets. The biggest one is that I'm not the only one tidying up. I also have been doing a lot of reading aloud and much more schooling to keep them occupied in something other than making a mess.

Anonymous said...

Jenn, You can use a quarter if you have it narrowed down to two possible answers. I think my main problem was the fact I was forced to take it by my loving mother.

Jordan said...

What is the check mark routine?

SomeOne said...

Mouse, the watch would work for two answers, but it is certainly not as daring as the quarter.

Jordan, Becky wrote on a card some words that were being said a lot in the Bible study, and Ben drew a checkmark by a word each time he heard it. Ben liked the game so well that he made his own card for the following week.