Monday, May 08, 2006

Jeni Forgets to Wash Her Hands

My mom mentioned how well I seem to be handling the stress of our upcoming move, and I thought I was doing pretty well, too. I'm not.

Last night the tension of absolutely no resolution in any part of this move got to me, and I cried and cried and cried. That made me need to flatten my bladder, and while I was sitting on the toilet sobbing, I heard little feet walking down the shower curtain only inches from my head. Of course I screamed and jumped off. (I can't remember if I washed my hands or not) Mark tried to give me a hug, but I didn't want a hug, I wanted the thing dead. He dutifully went into the bathroom to look, didn't find it and announced there was nothing there. Wrong answer. I know I was emotional, but that doesn't mean I couldn't trust my ears and eyes.

Sure enough, there was a dead cockroach on the floor of the bathroom this morning. How he missed a three-inch bug on the floor is cause for question, yet it explains why he couldn't find it alive last night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh ((((((honey)))))).

I am SO sorry you were sobbing last night.

~K

Anonymous said...

I promise, honey, the cockroach was NOT on the shower floor. I looked at every tile and shook the shower curtain, and he was NOT out in the open. In fact, when I showered this morning, he was NOT on the shower floor. It's true that my vision isn't the best, but I did have my glasses on, and there's no way I would miss a three inch cockroach on the shower floor. Be that as it may, I'm sorry I didn't find him. Next time I'll take a closer look at the drain.

SomeOne said...

You're right, Mark. The cockroach was not on the shower floor--you had to step over him to get into and out of the shower!

SomeOne said...

And that is why my hair looks gross and I stink: do you think I'm the type to step over cockroaches just to get clean?

Jordan said...

Jeni, I can SOO relate. The stress of the unknown (yet looming deadlines!!) plus pregnancy hormones plus the nastiest little bug in the world (I have a phobia of roaches-- it seriously borders on the insane) would also reduce me to an emotional wreck. Thank God that the fury of the internal storm DOES pass, although it is so powerful when it hits. My mom always says that things will look better tomorrow, and they do.

Here are two of my favorite scriptures for you:

If I should say "My foot has slipped", Your lovingkindness, O Lord, will hold me up. When anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul. Psalm 94:18-19

The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me! O Lord, Your covenant faithfulness is eternal-- do not forsake the work of your hands! Psalm 138:8

SomeOne said...

Jordan, I can soooo identify with those verses. Thanks for your encouragement.

And to anyone else who might see this, Mark insists that the cockroach had to crawl from SOMEWHERE to the floor beside the toilet and die between the time he was in the bathroom at 6:30 and the time I looked in at 7:00.