Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Jeni Writes About Fun Things

I have been extremely preoccupied lately, as I'm sure you can tell from my posts. But I'll try to snap out of it long enough to write this entry.

Grace's favorite place to be lately is on top of our table. Especially when it is set for dinner because it is so much fun to fish ice cubes out of the water glasses with her tiny hands. Last night during worship we let her down from the couch, only to find her sitting on the table 15 seconds later, trying to drink from a 2-qt drink cooler.

The boys have wanted to go swimming, so I promised them that we would go on Tuesday morning after school and chores were done, and that we would stay for a long time. Bradford was excited about this prospect, and he got up earlier than his brothers, did all their kitchen chores, got himself breakfast, and told me he wanted to begin his schoolwork--all before my sorry feet even touched the floor. This was such a shocking turn of events that I immediately hopped out of bed, and we did school together. He did okay, apart from spelling "bread" wrong, as he has been doing since we began working on that word almost a month ago. This is only slightly disturbing. I am more relaxed now about his reading, or lack thereof, than I used to be, because after seeing the kid struggle with "bag, beg, big, bog, bug" for the last six weeks, I can tell it is a brain-processing issue and not simply laziness.

The pool was quite cold. Grace took a dunking; fortunately I was there to catch her. It did not instill a fear of the water in her, however. Stubborn girl. But since she was not in the mood to use her baby ring, Nathaniel used it and had a blast. Much more fun than sitting on the steps, I think.

The boys have also been listening to a Veggie Tales CD lately. Like 3 times a day. Bradford told me today that he didn't like one of the songs, but I didn't pay much attention. Mistake. Tonight he came down and asked if the monsters in that song were jumping into jammies that were on someone or jammies that were in a drawer. We checked his jammies and found only one small monster, but that turned out to be his belly button. I then prayed with him, and Mark took him up and rubbed his back until he fell asleep. Poor kid. His imagination is often too active for his own good. He still can't believe there is no Easter Bunny, despite the fact I told him that I, and not the Easter Bunny, was going to leave a treat for him in his basket.

Ben. I haven't said anything about Ben yet. He told me today on the way to the pool that he hoped the judge wouldn't make him a policeman or firefighter. Somehow he had gotten the idea (did someone read The Giver to him?) that when you were older you went before a judge who told you what you were to be when you grew up. I explained how it really happens, and I asked him what he would like to be when he grew up. "A teacher" was his quick response. He wants to teach third or fourth grade children. Hmmm. We'll see about that.

Mark just looked at information regarding his essay test on Saturday, and he found that he only has 50 minutes in which to write it. Please pray for him. It takes him that long to make and eat his ice cream!

I met the man that I am praying will buy my house this week. He and his daughter were driving by looking for houses for sale, and I talked with him for a bit after handing him our information sheet. May it please God to send us a buyer soon.

And with that last comment, I'm in danger of becoming dull again. So I'll quit writing.

Kolbi, I'm sending you an article that you will find interesting. I'll email you all my tips on keeping the house clean while it is for sale, including the ones using duct tape.

Mom and Brenda, God evidently wants you thinner and me more patient, and since He doesn't make mistakes, we'll have to trust His timing. Keep praying!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Jeni, ice cream is very important. Perhaps it could be argued that it is even more important than essays.

(Will pray.)

Anonymous said...

I was packing today and what did I come across but your book The Ragamuffin Gospel that you sent to me a bizillion years ago! How cool! And then I realized... I still have this... was I supposed to send it back!?!? And then I thought... she's moving... if she wants it back it will be probably that I should send it to Georgia!!

:)

~k

Anonymous said...

Oh, great! I was fretting because I thought I only had 50 minutes to decide my topic. Do you mean I have to write the essay in that amount of time, too?