I look several times a week for houses in Georgia. People are often surprised to hear that we are planning to move. "Is this a for-sure thing?" I'm often asked. After wanting to and thinking we were going to move for too many times to count, I usually respond in an off-hand manner. "It's looking more sure" or "Maybe" or "We're hoping to". The truth is that unless God begins slamming the doors shut that He has opened, we'll be gone in about 3 months. We showed our house to the pastor (and wife) of a Spanish congregation in Weston. They are praying about whether or not to buy the house, and they'll let us know by the beginning of March. If not, we've already spoken with a realtor down here and our house goes on the market March 6. I really hope they do decide to buy it-for two reasons. Reason 1 is purely selfish: I don't want the stress and bother of keeping a 1400 sf house wherein live 4 young children in showable condition all the time. Reason 2 is better: After claiming this small plot of land for God, I would hate to see it fall into the hands of God-haters.
But I was writing about house hunting when I interrupted myself. I found a big, old, beautiful house that I dreamed about. It ended up that my parents drove many miles to take pictures of the yard and look around at the neighborhood for us. And my mother said the yard would not work. So that is that. How convenient (for us, not them) to have parents we trust to look at houses for us. I found another great house that is a bit out of our price range, but it has a big, gorgeous yard, and the basement is an in-law suite, complete with its own kitchen! Plus, there is a big workshop on the property. Now we just have to convince either my parents to move from a 3500 sf home to a 1-bedroom apartment or Mark's parents to invest early in their retirement home! Fortunately, however, there are several lovely houses on the market that we can afford, and as soon as Mark gets a job (pesky details), I plan to house hunt for real.
And now for kid-stuff. Mark and I were discussing whether or not Nathaniel would have freckles, and Mark commented that freckles are adorable. Ben looked at him with perplexity and said, "Daddy, you have freckles, and you're not adorable."
On Valentine's Day our Christian homeschooling neighbors (how cool is that!) came over for a Sock Hop. It was really fun. We decorated cookies, made a Valentine craft, danced, and ate heart-shaped pizza. I'll post pictures soon. Grace was particularly beautiful in her dress. Ben was thinking of wearing Daddy's BDUs (what does that stand for, anyway?), but I convinced him to wear more appropriate attire.
The two oldest boys are in Upward Basketball this year. What a learning experience! Bradford does well to be on the correct side of the court. For a couple of weeks, he couldn't dribble past mid-court. There seemed to be an invisible wall that he couldn't break through. Finally, one of the refs picked him up and moved him into place to make a shot. That seemed to work, but his teammates do not throw the ball to him, even in his rare lucid moments. He told me he doesn't want to play next year, and I'm fine with that.
Ben, on the other hand, shows some skill and coherence, but he is the youngest, shortest member on his team. Both have trouble guarding their man. So when their two teams played each other, they ended up guarding each other, since they are both the weakest on their team. That proved interesting. They did a better job at guarding each other, but they weren't always sure who was to guard whom. And then there were those two incidents of, um, brotherly affection, where they were pounding each other on court. They were kicked out the game and got a side trip to the woodshed with Daddy.
An excerpt from Mark's journal:
Jennifer was working on training Grace not to whine and grunt at the table when she wants something, but to ask. (This is where I need to insert an audio clip, because words can't really describe the look and the sound that Grace makes.) She gets very intense and from somewhere deep inside (think karate)yells, "Mom, mom, mom, mom, mom..." until Jennifer looks at her. Then in a very soft, delicate, innocent voice says "Beese?" What can Jennifer do? What can anyone do? You just kind of laugh and try to figure out what she wants. Little rascal.
5 comments:
Thanks for finally posting again.
You make me sad you're leaving.
And Mark's remarks on Grace are priceless. What a great kid.
That's great that Bradford and Benjamin are getting into basketball. I think Bradford will grow up to be a philospoher/professor/teacher/poet or something. :-D It's really too bad you guys are leaving us. What have we ever done to you? Anyway, if it's something I said I'm really, really sorry.
I wonder why I'm not having any difficult picturing Bradford and Benjamiin fighting in the middle of a basketball game. :-D
BDU-- I believe that stands fo Battle Dress Uniform. Mark would probably know. Guys always seem to know this stuff.
Lots of exciting changes for you! I love to hear stories about your kids, and I know you'll treasure them after they've grown.I cracked up about Mark not being
"adorable".
I had a great time with you the other day. The Louis Phillipe (sp?) roses were a big hit.
Ben looked at him with perplexity and said, "Daddy, you have freckles, and you're not adorable."
*dies laughing*
Jeni, you're moving too? Why doesn't everyone I love in FL stay near the Beisners so that I can visit them when I come? I'm afraid I'm going to have to start driving down so that I can see everybody along the wya...
Jennifer. Thanks for your blog. I read it linlkd from Kilby's while sitting at a stubborn MAC at St. Olaf's library. I can't get into my own PC world, so I'm making the best of it and this is the only way I cn write you. Cute about freckles and karate kid and basketball greats. David was the same on the soccer field as Bradford is on the courts. It didn't last long.
Susan and I enjoying our time away and hardly missing home at all. That's how it will probably be for her next year. We had dinner with a church family Monday night who have eight kids ranging from 14 months to 14 years. Susan at last understood what Kevin Hake felt like when he entered the Beisner house and got mobbed. I am comforted to know that she will have little brothers and sisters here. (Pray the dad gets a local job so they can stay here for her!)
See you next week. Kisses all round...
Post a Comment