Monday, January 02, 2006

Jeni Wishes Upon a Star

A helicopter circling near our house woke me up at 4 AM last week. I went outside to see what was going on, and I saw-for the first time in my life-a shooting star. Or maybe it was a meteor. At any rate, it didn't kill me, so I seized the opportunity to wish upon a star, my very first star. I was very philosophical about my wish, especially considering the time of day, but I'm pleased with my wish as well, even though it will not come true in my lifetime.

So many things are like that. Adam and Eve were promised that one of their offspring would break the curse, and they never saw it. Abraham was promised a large family, but he never saw it. And so it goes right up till now. Because I'm planning to have babies until I no longer can, I will probably never see all my grandchildren on earth. That's okay. It's not about me, and it never will be. I'm pleased to be a hammer in God's hands, building His kingdom one child at a time. I don't need to see the finished work: I have faith that it will come to pass, and I'm pleased with my part in the story, and that is enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for telling of your faith. God adds to mine through it.