Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Jeni Asks a Question...

Do I have "SUCKER" written on my forehead? I was outside just now watching the kids play and a woman pulls up in her van and jumps out with a stuffed Superman and Batman. "I was on my way to drop this off with the Salvation Army when I saw your kids. Would the little boy wearing the Superman costume like to have this?" Well, by that time the "little boy" was already at my side, and of course he wanted it, for his brother. Of course they each must have something. So we traipsed over to the van so he could choose something for each of the brothers. I stood firm on Grace not getting anything. But, AGH!

Someone please tell me how to say "I DON'T WANT YOUR TRASH IN MY HOUSE" politely.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how we got a $1,000 Foosball table. At lease that's what I think it's worth. They sell them at Costco for $1500. Anyway my son was out walking the dog and a neighbor surfer guy asked him, hey kid, want this? So sometimes it works out!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jeni! :(

Compleat Mom said...

Get a grip, Jeni. There's always the Toy Pirate. Seriously, you're learning about dying to yourself, eh? Like the three worthless hours I spent yesterday at the kids' Speech and Debate Club Christmas party. Not my will, but. And then, when you get older, you and Mark can take a nighttime walk around your neighborhood and find the perfect computer table for one of the kids' in somebody's trash, just like we did for Kilby. Praise God from Whom ALL Blessings Flow.
xxx

SomeOne said...

The Toy Pirate has come. He just threw away a motorcyle guy and a couple of hotwheels. I am sooooo tired of their junk all over the house that I'm about to scream. No, I've already done that. I'm about to pull my hair out. or something. Our house is just too small for us and all their STUFF.

Jordan said...

Oh Jeni. I know this doesn't seem funny NOW, but it sure is a good story. Maybe you should have gone into the house and brought her a few things to take home with her! :) If you're really sick of the stuff, tell your boys to gather up their toys for a yard sale and let them keep the money from what they sell. Nothing makes a toy look old faster than the promise of ready cash. ;) Or you could just keep throwing away their stuff.

Kilby said...

Here's a polite way: "No thanks. They are quite content with what they have right now, since our house is just overflowing with blessings. But I'm sure some little kid deprived of house and home would love to see that show up for him. And Ben here? Ben, don't you want some other little boy to have that? Yeah, see? But thanks for your generosity, anyhow. That was very kind of you. But I think we'll be fine without it. Have a safe drive and a nice day! Thanks for stopping by! See you! Take it easy!"

SomeOne said...

I think I'll just have to stick to "No Thanks." until I memorize the rest of your lovely speech. I particularly like the emphasis on blessings.

And it was Bradford who was wearing the Superman pjs that day.

And yes, Debby, I am learning to die to myself. When I got two Christmasy books and a pin last night for helping with Cubbies, I promptly threw them in the trash can.

Peter said...

Hey, Mrs. Thompson? I think Kilby's speech will work till you ask Ben if he wants someone else if they want it, and he promptly responds "no". :-D