Sunday, November 13, 2005

We Return to Florida

I knew I was back in south Florida when I was going, uh, well, a reasonable and prudent speed, and the guy behind me made me acutely aware of his presence, not because he wanted to pass me, but just because we're chummy like that down here. I'm certain he didn't want to pass me: when I pulled over to let him go by me, he didn't...until I was suddenly slamming on my brakes in order not to hit the dude going 40 mph in the middle lane. And where else is doing a U-turn across two lanes of traffic from a right-hand-turn-only lane at a red light commonplace? Ah, there's no place like home.

I SAW A HUMMINGBIRD IN MY GARDEN TODAY! Just thought you'd like to know that.

Speaking of gardens, mine looks pretty ragged right now. You'd look ragged, too, if a fence fell over on you. Everything grows so quickly here that I'm sure it'll look great again in just a few months. Robin gave me a rose bush and a Dutchman's Pipevine right before the hurricane, and we stored them in the garage until it was over. Now I need to plant them.

We went to church tonight and heard our friend Brian Douglas preach. A couple of months ago I helped his wife put about 50 meals into her freezer to get ready for a pregnancy. He told me tonight that they were without power for 12 days, but with a generator they were able to save all the food. Thank you, God!

Tomorrow I rip out the carpet in Grace's room. It smells very musty in there, and I don't like her breathing it all night. The stairway also smells stale, but that will have to wait until the insurance adjuster comes out. Now the question is what should we put in her room-laminate or carpet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laminate!!! Laminate laminate laminate. The End.

~k

Compleat Mom said...

Carpet for her sweet knees and lots of storybooks on the floor.