Tuesday, November 08, 2005

a Record is Set and the Reader is Set Straight

I've never had three people comment on the same thing before! So I guess I need to clarify a bit. Yes, I do love Florida, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't love to live somewhere else. See, I was trying to be Optimistic, because I must live in Florida, and I have learned that "whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content." Which means when I live in Georgia or Tennessee or South Carolina, I'll be content there, too. I think.

I've written before that we will probably be moving next year, and that is still the case, but thought of moving scares me a little, and I'll tell you why. Almost two years ago Mark thought he would be offered a job in Savannah, Georgia. Everything pointed to it, but it fell through. In hind-sight, I know that I could never have liked living in a city that was so..., well, so true-blood and racist. We looked at houses with a realtor there, and I told him I wanted to live near different colors of people, and the best he could do was a neighborhood near a Jewish Synagogue. We wanted to live in the city, not near it, and that, too, was looked on as very odd. I met two people who seemed like potential friends: one was from Korea, and the other owned the house I wanted to buy.

After that adventure, I'm wary of living in the South, but since my husband refuses to move to Alaska or Iceland, the South is where we'll end up. So, yes, I'd much rather deal with roaches than snobs, and ants are far easier than racists to control.

2 comments:

MouseAnne said...

I agree one hundred percent. Living in Virginia has been interesting. I've lived in many places where being white was the minority but the south is a whole different ballgame. The racial tensions are extremely high. It's bad when you don't feel comfortable taking your kids out because you are afraid they will be verbally attacked because of thier color.

Compleat Mom said...

So with understanding like that, who said that you weren't going to be called out to be a light and salt to a stinking bigoted world? Let your light shine, Jeni.