But here I am, feeling better and ready to blog about... hmm, what shall I blog about? Oh yes. I'll tell you about the book I'm reading right now. I don't think I've ever talked about what I'm reading, mostly because I read so little of general interest. But with Mark using the computer for his class at night, I thought maybe I'd try to learn something new, too. So I chose a book off our shelf that neither of us had yet read and began. Wow. It will probably end up being my 2nd most favorite book of all time. Any guesses? I seriously doubt anyone could guess this book, because my enjoyment of this particular subject is a Great Secret. So I'll just tell you the name: Mathematics: Is God Silent? by James Nickel. Here's a quote from the first chapter "Does It Really Matter?"
The Bible also proclaims that, in Jesus Christ, "all things consist [cohere, are held together-J.N]" (Colossians 1:17). In context, the univeral quantifier refers to things created, both visible and invisible. Since mathematics deals with things visible (theAnd so he goes on to tell just how worldview affects mathematics, for better or worse. He lays out the history of mathematics from antiquity to modern times, noting in each period of time the prevailing philosophy and theology and how they affected mathematical discovery and application. Highly recommended to all who love mathematics or philosophy.
structure of the physical world) and things invisible (the structure of human thought), it would be reasonable and befitting to deduce that the person of Jesus
Christ is the "cohesive" that holds the structure of mathematics together.
And what would a Thanksgiving post be without a list of things for which I am thankful.
- the hummingbird who still visits my garden every morning (Now the boys are becoming interested in it and want to know more about them. Hooray for homeschooling!)
- my garden is beginning to recover from Wilma
- my windows are open and the air conditioning is off for the second day in a row
- my family
- seeing the Milky Way for the first time when the lights were out due to Wilma
- mathematics
- hot showers
- fresh pineapple juice
Obviously the list is not exhaustive. One thing I certainly would have listed, had it actually happened, is the ability of a certain son of mine to complete his 15 math problems and 20 spelling words in less than 3 hours. I. . . . Am. . . . Running. . . . Out. . . . Of. . . . Patience. not to mention time. I usually stay with him to keep him on track, but lately I've had the thought that he needs to learn to focus on his work, so I'll let him go it alone, with the occasional "how are you doing?" to redirect him back to his work. That plan is SO not working. And even if I sit with him, getting through 10 spelling words can be an hour-long process. Which is why I cannot honestly say I am a classical homeschooler--I barely get any school done with him at all. Forget memorizing the dates of the reigns of the Pharaohs, I'd like him to remember his name and address.
Ya, know. The last paragraph sounded a bit Complainy. I'll leave it in, so you know just how horrible a sinner I am, but I think I need to check my attitude about things like this. For instance, when Ben wanted to help me make tuna salad and he had the audacity to DROP the can of tuna upside down in the sink, I sent him packing out of the kitchen. I didn't want the extra work just then. I'm always griping to them about how much more work they give me by their clumsiness, ignorance, or immaturity. But what right have I to complain? Aren't those accidents and incidents the very things I should, if not pray for, at least look for in order to teach and train them and bring about sanctification in myself?
And now the pressing question of the day... what is for dinner? I have no idea. I can hear that Grace is up from her nap, and I glanced at the time and gasped. On the menu is black bean soup, but instead of soaking the beans last night, I was riveted by my book, so it'll have to be something else.
7 comments:
I am NOT ready to be a mom.
Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving from 45-degree-cold South Carolina. (I'm LOVING the weather. Can you believe it!?)
My son used to sit, once for a record 2 1/2 hours, doing his two pages of math. It wasn't hard. He could do it. He was just stubborn. I tried many times to get him to just get on with it so he could enjoy the rest of his day. For a year or so, he just took f..o..r..e..v..e..r.
Fast forward eight years, he is seventeen, a junior at UCLA in the honors program for mathematics.
Make him sit there till he does the work. Don't despair!
YAY!!!!! It was good to see you blog. Happy Thanksgiving, my wonderful Friend. And if my kid dropped the can of tuna fish, he would be out of the kitchen, too.
Another Sinner signing off,
~Kolbi
Susan: I'm glad to know you have not married and given birth in the last week. No doubt you'll accept a child when God gives you one, but I doubt you'll ever feel ready.
Yes, I can believe you love 45-degree weather, but will you love 45-degrees-below-ZERO weather, which is what you undoubtably have to look forward to?
Anonymous #1: Thanks for encouraging me in my new Plan To Turn My Son Into A Focused Person Who Diligently Finishes His Work. I will press on.
Kolbi: Thank you, my fellow sinner. And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.
LOL! I love it; "Forget memorizing the dates of the reigns of the Pharaohs, I'd like him to remember his name and address."
Um, yeah. :o) I know what you're sayin'.
God bless you. It all rings so familiarly. God is blessing you.
Post a Comment