Today is the day we normally get our Christmas tree. It's always a big family event, all of us piling into the van and going to Home Depot where Mark and I unwrap about 34 trees and lament the high prices (only $5 in Oregon, and I'm just not over it yet) while our children are in various stages of exploration and whininess. All this in 80 degree weather listening to Rap music. And of course we have to get The Picture. The one with the kids gathered around Mark, who is holding a tree under a tent. And then comes the fun part of tying the tree to the top of the van (we are experts now) and stuffing the back of the van with extra branches to make garland.
But not this year. Mark has three more intense weeks to go in his graduate class, and frankly, I'm not in the holiday decorating mood right now. We're also going to go light on the gifts this year. Mark will probably get underwear, I'll ask for a day off, and we don't usually buy any gifts for the boys (or girl) except what goes in their stockings, and this year my budget is $10 a kid, excluding Grace.
There is no end to our new frugality. I'm using cash now at the grocery store instead of a credit card, which is VERY HARD. I write down everything I need, estimate the cost, and take slightly more than that into the store to shop. I read in a Dave Ramsey that if you use cash instead of a credit card you spend 12-18% less, so I thought I'd try it out. It is working beautifully so far, which my bills about 30% less than they were pre-cash.
Mark has jumped on the wagon to find ways to save money, and he figures he can pay for his entire graduate degree if I use less toilet paper. This is not a joke. Okay, the degree part may be a slight exaggeration, but he did tell me I use too much toilet paper. I never knew he was such a resource nazi. Evidently the plan of the boys taking a bath every other month wasn't bringing expenses down like he was expecting, so he's moving on to bigger and better things. When he brings home a stack of scrap paper and asks me to cook over an open flame I'll know he's gone off the deep end.
Grace calleth...
5 comments:
You can't fault Mark too much; he comes by his TP concerns naturally. Dad used to tell us that when we were kids. But I think it's time the men had an anatomy refresher!
It is about time for new pictures wouldn't you say?
Angie: Your dad still tells my kids the same thing. He used to buy us TP at Sam's, but once he saw square upon square being wasted he can't bring himself to fund our toilet using habit.
MouseAnne: And when are you planning to blog again? Cast the beam from thine own eye...
And your preferred brand? I think you just answered by gift-giving dilemma - tons o' toilet paper!
Angie,
The boys are convinced that you know Santa, being the Official Vice Elf in Charge of Distribution of Gifts or something like that. Anyway, your elf hat is fondly remembered. I did tell them to let me know one thing they wanted, if you're interested.
Post a Comment