Sunday, September 25, 2005

the Wonders of Home Education Are Shared

We recently studied the human body. I might have mentioned that already, but stick with me. I am not very good at doing experiments. I never was. My high school chemistry lab book was my first major work of fiction, for which I blame the teacher... why she would put two ditzy girls together as lab partners is a mystery, unless she was bored with her job and wanted a few laughs at the expense of our grades. Anyway, ever since that time, I have had a horror of experiments. Experiments are only slightly more tolerable than crafts, and doing crafts is--in my opinion--the worst form of torture known to stay-at-home moms.

But now I'm a supposedly classical homeschooling mother, I felt that my children need to be exposed to science experiments. Got a library book on the human body that had some easyish experiments in it, so I went out on a limb and did two of them. Of course we didn't have the materials to do most of them, but when I read that digestion takes about 24 hours from mouth to waste I thought--we could check that with our baby! "Hey, guys. Let's give Gracey grapes and see how long it takes for her to digest them." BAD IDEA. REALLY bad idea. I repented that decision, but Bradford didn't forget it. He came up to check on her after I had closed shop, so to speak, so I unwillingly opened it up only to have her... well, use your imagination, but it wasn't pretty, and I did end up giving her a bath. My resolution was to never, ever do a science experiment again. But I couldn't help but wonder about her digestion when the very next day I opened up her diaper to find a wiggle eye staring at me.

3 comments:

Kilby said...

That is class-A terrible.

Susan said...

Oh Jeni. You're NOT supposed to do science experiments on your 1 year old daughter!!!

And hey...the most I've done for science experiments was growing an apple tree till David shot it full of holes with his bee-bee gun, and germinating seeds on a paper towel till the plastic dislodged and it dried out.

And I'm...uh...relatively well-adjusted.

SomeOne said...

Sweet picture, maybe, but the originals are definitely not.