Who would have thunk it?
Yesterday, when signing out of hotmail, I noticed a link to a story about a town in Mississippi that had been wiped off of the map. I clicked it to find out the name of the town. When the story came up, I felt my arms go numb. Waveland. I've sent birth announcements and Christmas cards to Waveland. I knew that my aunt and uncle had escaped Katrina with their lives, their dog, and whatever they packed in their car, but to see a news report that said their city got the brunt of the wind and water, that every building within 1/2 mile of the beach (including their house) was flattened, was numbing.
My cousin and his family evidently got off fairly easily. They only lost everything in their house due to about 6 feet of water flooding into it.
I just cannot comment here about the devastation and events in New Orleans. Who cares what I think, anyway! Fortunately for you, gentle reader, I'll keep my thoughts on Mayor Nagin, FEMA, the President, and the stranded people to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment