Thursday, November 11, 2004

My Baby Story

Okay. I cleaned out my kitchen today and finally threw away my frozen placenta. So it's time to write the birth story. I kept thinking that I would take the time to be terribly clever and funny in telling my story, but I don't feel clever and funny these days, so I'm just going to put it into a timeline form.

August 25, 2004: 2 days overdue
The boys pray that I have the baby tomorrow. I talk with my midwife, who says that something will click in my head when I'm ready to have the baby, and then the baby will come.

August 26, 2004
3am Wake up to flatten my bladder, begin having contractions about 15-20 minutes apart.

4:30 am Go back to sleep

6am Awake, still having contractions about 12-15 minutes apart.

6:45 am Mark goes to school to wrap some things up. I have lots to get done-- I feed the boys, get them packed, do laundry, make dinner, clean up the house, etc. Contractions are 10-12 minutes apart

10 am Get a call from Mark's principal, who wants to know if it's okay that I'm in labor and Mark's at school. It's fine, I tell her. He should be home between noon and 1.

11 am Call my midwife. Didn't call earlier because she usually gets to bed about 3am. My friend comes to pick up the two BLTs, and my neighbor takes NOT.

2 pm Midwife calls. She's meeting a guy on the side of the road to sign her refinancing papers, and she'll be with me as soon as she's finished. Contractions are 5-7 minutes apart. Mark puts on music for me. He chooses The Pirates of Penzance. I sing and laugh through my contractions while he writes down the times.

3 pm Janice (my midwife) and her 2 helpers arrive.

4 pm I decide it's time to get into the pool. I change into my bathing suit top while Mark fills the pool. There is a hose running from my sink to the pool. Mark turns the water on during my contractions so the water can run over my belly.

Where the birth took place

4:30 pm My pastor calls to see how we're doing. Mark lets him know that I'm in labor. Contractions start coming about 2-3 minutes apart. Listen to second half of The Pirates of Penzance. Mark continues to turn on the water, but then must bale some out in-between contractions.

5:30 pm The real pain starts. I feel like I'm going to vomit, so I float a mixing bowl in the water. I decide I don't want to do this anymore. Colleen checks me, and I'm 90% effaced, but only 4 cm! I get very angry. Mark turns on the water, rubs my back, turns off the water, bales the water, turns on the water, rubs my back, turns off the water, bales, etc...

6:08 Janice wants me to lean back. Like I can! I'm in pain and in a pool with nothing to lean on. Mark hops into the Stew of Life and becomes my birthing stool.

6:11 After two pushes, Grace Elizabeth Thompson is born!!! Oh my goodness! Mark and I were shocked to find out we had a girl.

Right after the birth. I'm in a rocking chair in my kitchen. Note Mark's wet shorts. What a guy!

I never really wanted to think about this birth beforehand, because it was my first birth at home, and my first birth without any medication. I knew that no matter how badly it hurt, the baby would eventually come out. And although it DID hurt, especially the pushing, it was only a short time. Then I was taken care of and tucked into bed and fed. And all the laundry was done and the mess cleaned up. And then I got to sleep. No nurses coming in to awaken me to make sure I was alive, no gross food, and no one to tell me I shouldn't sleep with my baby.


Lizzy only 40 minutes old. Note the Thomas the Tank Engine towel. That's life with three brothers, little girl.


Janice with Lizzy.


I can definitely say that being at home was worth the pain. My midwife and her assistants took much better care of me than nurses and doctors ever could. During those tough 40 minutes, I had four people devoted entirely to me and my needs. That couldn't happen in a hospital. If God chooses to give me more children, I want to have them at home.



The whole family at home.

2 comments:

Dy said...

Oh, Jeni! I loved the birthstory. I don't know why you think you aren't witty, though- I just sat here and laughed and nodded all the way through it.

We've had one medicated/hospital birth and two home waterbirths. If God gives us more, we'll have a whole housefull of sea monkeys! Having a baby at home is a completely different experience, isn't it?

I can't believe you threw out the frozen placenta! No! You're supposed to plant something with it! We have two in the upright freezer we left at Aunt B's when we moved out here. It has a HUGE sign on it that reads, "DO NOT EAT ANYTHING IN THE BOTTOM DRAWER!" ;-)

Dy

Donna Boucher said...

Wonderful!!! Birth story!!!
You did an amazing job!
Enjoy your busy boys and quiet little baby girl!
Donna