This Lord's Day, I learned of two women in our church who are pregnant. One woman has 4 children already, and the other is unwed. Our pastor announced the pregnancy of the unwed mother to the congregation this morning. The girl realizes her sin, and she has repented, and needs to be forgiven. So far, so good.
But what about the woman AND her HUSBAND who are having child #5. People are talking about their situation in hushed tones, too. It seems they, too, need to be forgiven. WHY? They are poor. This baby will be born into a family that lives in a 2-bedroom apartment, has one vehicle, and needs some furniture. I predict that the unwed mother will have a larger shower than the poor mother. Pardon me! But baby #5 (or 6 or 7 or 16) born into a christian FAMILY should cause us to REJOICE.
I won't even go into why I'm sad, but not shocked, that the young lady mentioned above is pregnant. But what does that say of our society, that glorifies sex and rallies around an unwed mother, yet wonders and blames when a husband and wife have lots of children. I only have 4 children, and people are constantly assuming now that we've gotten our girl, we're not going to have any more. Well, maybe God won't give us any more children, but if I do get pregnant again, I will not tolerate people whispering about me. As Kolbi so beautifully wrote in her blog, our children, however difficult, are our greatest work.
And my latest greatest work is very gassy right now. She screamed yesterday from 7pm to 11pm, finally falling asleep from exhaustion while sitting up chewing on my finger. I think it's because of something I ate... OK, I overdosed on chocolate. That glass jar with chocolate chips was just too tempting. But I think Lizzy is overly sensitive, too. It seems as though she gets stomach pains when I just think about chocolate.
_______________________________________________________________
What is the point of Sunday School? I sure wish I knew. Lizzy and I spent the hour in the nursery, staying away from the runny-nosed children in there ("no, thanks, I'll just stay in here and hold her"), Benjamin was put into time-out for spitting, Nathaniel relearned a Bible story, and Bradford opted to stay with Mark's class instead of going to his own. "Was he okay in your class?," I asked. "Yes," replied dear husband, "he spent the time chewing on the overhead projector and off by himself." Hmmm. There's got to be more to that story. But did anyone learn anything? Yes, I learned that two women are pregnant (see above) and that mothers often leave their snotty-nosed kids in the nursery. Benjamin learned that he cannot spit in Sunday School without consequences, Nathaniel RElearned a story, and Bradford learned what overhead projectors taste like. Yes, I see now why we go to Sunday School.
And now the rest of my family is up from their naps, so we're going to have pumpkin pie. We are celebrating Thanksgiving MONTH this year. Pumpkin pie and mashed potatoes this week, pecan pie and sweet potatoes next week, and so on. By the end of the month we'll have eaten the whole meal. And then I'll give the kids instruments, make them walk around the house, and it'll count as our parade.
Later...
2 comments:
Wish you could have heard the girls seminary class last night where we were reminded of how we on earth get so many things (almost everything?!) upside down, inside out, calling good "evil" and evil "good". But now we live by faith and not by sight. God is inexorably setting everything right again, and will justly judge our tyrannical little souls in Christ. Psalm 98! --Deb
We saw this tone a lot when Zorak was in school. There were young married couples who were whispered about and somewhat shunned. It broke our hearts, and we ended up with a *lot* of young married couples in our home because otherwise, the odds that everyone was supposedly so concerned about would have been just that much higher without support and encouragement. *sigh* We do get it backwards.
James (ds6) likes his Sunday School class ok, but he hasn't learned anything in it. He'd be perfectly happy to sit in the sanctuary and listen in on the study of the Prophets. Every week he says, "we learned xyz, which I already knew from the Bible". I'm starting to get discouraged. At what point do they quit feeding them milk and start getting the meat? *shrug*
Poor Lizzy. Poor mama! Chocolate is an important food! {{hugs}} I've been fortunate to have two children with cast iron constitutions and only one that was colicky and sensitive. *whew* Hey, do you do baby massage?
Dy, off to rethink the menu this month. I love the idea of doing Thanksgiving all month! (Or, in our case, the last half.)
Post a Comment