Wednesday, November 24, 2004

the Boys Are Thankful

I made the boys memorize a Thanksgiving poem this year. Each boy had one section to learn, and because Bradford coveted Ben's section because "butterfly" was in Ben's, Bradford ended up learning the whole thing. Here it is...

Thank You--
for all my hands can hold.
Apples red
and melons gold.
Yellow corn
both ripe and sweet.
Peas and beans
so good to eat.

Thank You--
for all my eyes can see.
Lovely sunlight,
field, and tree.
White-cloud boats
in sea-deep sky.
Soaring bird
and butteryfly.

Thank You--
for all my ears can hear.
Birds' song echoing
far and near.
Songs of little
stream, big sea.
Cricket, bullfrog,
Duck and bee.

--Ivy O. Eastwick

I'm thankful that Mark took the boys out this morning and bought them a fiber optic Christmas tree to put in their bedroom. The snowman-who-is-dressed-for-Halloween ornament doesn't look so bad on a tree that shines purple, orange, blue, yellow, red, and green.

Typing is difficult to do while nursing, so I must close now.

No comments: