Friday, July 03, 2015

Jeni Rejoices in Simplicity

The crux of the life-changing magic of tidying up: the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing is to only keep the things which spark joy in your heart.  The focus is on what you love now, what gives you joy now, finding a place for everything now.

I love that.

She also says that everything you own has a purpose. Some clothing's purpose is to be loved and worn. Some clothing has the purpose of showing you what you don't like. It's okay to get rid of unworn articles of clothing: say "thank-you for teaching me that your style and color do not look good on me." And then set it free.

I love that, too.

I had a closet full of clothes that looked horrible on me. I had vacuum bags full of clothes mocking me for not getting back to my pre-pregnancy shape. I bought pieces of outfits almost everywhere I went, but still I felt like a fat frump and nothing really worked together as a coherent outfit.

Now that my drawers contain only things I love and that fit me, I don't feel like a failure. That's a win.

No comments: