We—meaning the boys and I—just came back from our first Regional Qualifier for Speech and Debate. None of the boys made it past the preliminary rounds, but that was hardly the goal for our debut. They did, however, become infected with the bug to do better and more in the future.
One important thing that happened was Ben came away knowing he needs to practice his impromptu speaking skills. I talked to a veteran mom about how to do this at home since the actual event is hard to get into. I will eventually take the time to implement her idea of pictures on cards, but in the meantime, I bought a $1 bag of conversation hearts to be used as topics for speech. Right now we are working on interesting introductions, and I’m amazed as each day they ramble less and find interesting ways to approach such weighty topics as “No Way” and “Crazy 4 U”.
Thursday someone gave us a bag of M&Ms, and I did threaten to trade out the hearts for the chocolate pieces to see how they would approach the topic “M,” but I’ve not done that yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment