Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Patie Asks for Help

As the others were leaving to go to choir and Catekids, baking dish of macaroni and cheese in hand, Patie was sitting at the dining room table eating her dinner.  I was in the kitchen snacking on my much yummier meal of mushroom pie, beginning to clean up the preparation mess when Patie asked me to help her eat her meal.  She's only three, and I do occasionally help her with difficult meals, but mac and cheese?  I was confident she could do it on her own, so instead I instructed her to "put macaroni on your spoon, and put it in your mouth. Now chew it up, and once you've chewed, swallow."  I repeated these instructions to coach her through each independent bite while trying to carry on a parting conversation with Mark.  At some point, he took more of my attention and I stopped the unnecessary chant.

And then we heard "djiw  ut, djiw ut"  or something like that.  She had taken a bite, but she was waiting for me, mouth full of food, to tell her to "chew it" and swallow.  When I didn't, she reminded me what I was supposed to say.

Goofy girl.

No comments: