Sunday, April 04, 2010

Jeni Does Not Cry

My firstborn son and daughter just left with their father to go on an airplane to visit family and friends in Florida. I don't think I've been away from Grace more than two days before, so this was a bit painful. I admit I teared up a bit as I hugged her. It's not as though I don't still have a houseful of kids, yet I'll miss her and Bradford all the same.

We weren't sure how this trip was going to go over with the ones being left behind. Ben and Nate's reaction we did not leave to chance. Before Bradford opened the egg with the airline confirmation in it, we let Ben and Nate know what was happening. We were prepared for sulking. We were prepared for whining. We were prepared for anger. What we were not prepared for, and what we got, was open-eyed wonder and delight on behalf of their siblings. Wow.

Bradford opened his egg, and everyone who knew what was happening watched him. He doesn't have much use for pieces of paper, but he politely looked at his confirmation and asked what it was. I told him to read it, pointing to the various important parts. "Sprite (close enough) Airlines" "Bradford Thompson" "a date" then excitedly "I'm going on an airplane ride?! with who?" To which I pointed out the names of his traveling companions, and made him read the date, and then the destination.

Grace was also excited, never having visited Florida since she moved almost 4 years ago. I told her Daddy would show her the house in which she was born, and she would see Grandma Thompson's house, and they would go to the beach. She was also excited about using my purse as her backpack carry-on, and she wore it the entire 45 minutes she still had to spend here.

This surprise was great fun, and I'm sure they'll have a great time in Florida. I plan to have a great time here with my remaining kids. Oooo. Only five kids. How easy that will be!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! No crying, Momma. Except that I totally know what you mean. And I hate it when people I love fly. Not that anything is going to happen, but I hate it all the same!

And how fun for Mark and the little ones!