Monday, March 15, 2010

Jeni Stays Happy in the Middle

On my desktop I have weather reports for several different places—Davie, London, Sherwood, Iceland, Barrow, and Canton.  Did you know that in Barrow right now it is –27 degrees?  People, that’s cold.  It’s 73 in Davie, and spring will soon be here in Canton, but for the 4000 residents of Barrow, April brings not showers, but an average daily temperature of 0.  Honestly, why would anyone live in a place that is below freezing 60% of the year?!  The high temperature in July is 45.  Brrr.

But then again, March is too soon to be dealing with 73 degree weather.  I’m glad I no longer have the oppressive South Florida heat to contend with every year.  I’m happy to be somewhere in the middle of oppressive cold and darkness and oppressive heat and light.  I like living in Georgia, and I like seeing the daffodils in bloom right now.  I say this every year, but spring in Georgia is unparalleled, and I can’t wait for it to get underway.   

7 comments:

Laura said...

Barrow, Where? I only know where three of the places you listed *are*. I'm guessing you don't mean Barrow County.

The redbuds around here just burst into bloom out of nowhere this week. Some sort of white blossom trees in our neighborhood are on the verge of blooming too. They are really gorgeous for a few weeks. I can't wait to go on walks with my camera.

PS Loved Sadie's redneck story.

SomeOne said...

barrow, ak. the northernmost city in the us, and one of the northernmost in the world. something crazy like 65 days of darkness and 85 days of light, lows in the -50s and highs at 50. I am glad I am not one of the 4000ish people who live there!

SomeOne said...

Oh, and it's
Davie, FL
London, GBR
Sherwood, OR
Reykjavik, ISL
Barrow, AK

It's -33 in Barrow right now, and it's 43 in Iceland. Aren't you happy to know that?

Laura said...

Thanks for the geography lesson. Strangely I remember learning from a random conversation in one of the Mighty Ducks movies about how Iceland is green and pretty, while Greenland is icy. But it was in a kids' movie so I don't know how reliable that is.

Laura said...

BTW are you freaked out that you're going to have a 12-year-old in a month!??

SomeOne said...

ha ha. but yes, I am. For different reasons than are typical, and nothing I really want to explain in the comment section of my blog, but I am definitely freaked out.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're happy in Georgia.

I do very much remember how you felt about Florida! And well Florida deserved your opinions of it.