Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Jeni Leads Family Devotions

How convenient that Mark is sick with the flu just as we come in our evening devotions to the account of Dinah, so yours truly got to read it to the children.  Defilement, circumcision, murder—all there for our edification tonight.  I did stress that staying away from heathen friendships would have prevented the entire problem—so like, where was Jacob this whole time?  Loser.  And aren’t we all?  And to think God loved that lying, cheating man and used him for greater purposes.  Makes me think there might be hope for me.

The more it snows—tiddlely pom

The more it goes—tiddlely pom

The more it goes—tiddlely pom

On snowing.  --A.A.Milne

What a pleasant surprise to see snow today.  Very slushy, won’t last, but pretty nonetheless.  And Mark won’t have to use as many sick days, since school let out early today and begins late tomorrow.  Hopefully by Thursday he will have rejoined the land of the living.  In the meantime, he has a sweet little nurse in Grace.  She checks on him about every hour, never waking him if he’s asleep, and making sure he has everything he needs.  I guess Sophie is also practicing for a nursing degree, because Mark told me she checked on him a couple of times, too. 

Without Mark around, I seem to get more done.  This sounds bad, but I’ve talked with other moms who say the same thing—when their husbands are gone, they don’t like it, but they get more accomplished.  I’m thinking that with my extra time I’ll work on my quilt.  If I finish it this year, it means I’ll only have been working on it for something like 18 years.  Seriously.  Or maybe I’ll tackle the three-foot high pile of clean laundry on my bedroom floor.  Or maybe I’ll just read a book.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That's cute of your girls. But I'm afraid Grace will not make a good nurse. Real nurses wake up sick people at ungodly hours to stick them with sharp things and fail multiple times and have to call someone else to come and try sticking them. :) (From M's experience, not mine)

Anonymous said...

Get well soon, Mark!

And Jeni, you absolutely MUST share pics of said quilt-in-progress. I would love to quilt someday. I've tried my hand at tiny projects a couple of times... would love to hear more about this!