Thursday, February 04, 2010

Jeni Laughs

I’m taking you a few years back for this story.  I was pregnant with Nathaniel in the June of 2001 when I fell over some laundry on my stairs and broke my foot. 

When I finally found a doctor that would put me in a cast to protect my foot from the stomps of little boys (Ben was 1 and Bradford 3), I immediately regretted it.  I hated that cast.  I felt claustrophobic with it on, and I couldn’t sleep.  Being a woman of action, I took my box knife and started to work.  Worked on it till midnight, at which point I had it looking bad but not off.  The next day, I was getting used to it, but still my leg would itch, and it drove. me. crazy.  UGH.  I tried wire hangers, but they scratched.  I tried wooden spoons, but they didn’t bend enough.  Then I found an old stereo antenna, and it was the perfect solution.  I carried it with me all the time, and I made peace with that stupid lump of plaster on my leg. 

Fast forward a bit, and my little neighbor Jessica had a cast on her leg.  Knowing how horrible an experience this could be, I found and gave her the antenna for her comfort. 

And today, I got this in my inbox from Julie, Jessica’s mother:

Hi Jennifer, I wanted to share a quick story with you.  A week ago I fell down the steps at the house and tore some ligaments.  Yesterday I had had enough of the laying around and went to see a specialist who promptly put me into a cast.  UGH, my first ever.  Upon my arrival home Jessica handed me THE antenna and I will carry it with me everywhere until I am cast free.  Thank you for this beautiful gift!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know that I am so glad that you are blogging. I come to your blog every day!

And you will LOVE the book Home Comforts. At least, I loved it. It was nice to be able to read a book that makes cleaning sound so... important... and... necessary... and something to be appreciated and done well.

I blogged about you a bit today:

http://bit.ly/bRLZsM

Blessings!