Sunday, October 11, 2009

Jeni is Worth Her Weight in Gold

At least, that is what my husband told me on Saturday when I was sick and not doing a whole lot.  I’m worth less, now, I guess, since I weigh less. 

A friend once asked his children to write down what they did each day and what their mother did each day.  The results were startling.  These children, although they had witnessed their mother’s wonderful household management for over ten years--for the children in question were not young, but teens--still had no idea what any mother in general, and their mother in particular, must do to keep things running smoothly. 

Of course the only things she did were talk on the phone or sit at the computer.  Well, maybe that is not what her children wrote, but probably what mine would write if asked the same question.  Never mind that I use the computer as a tool to keep track of school days, record academic progress, make chore charts, schedules, menu plans, and do finances. And never mind that 80% of my telephone calls are business related, and normally short. 

But whatever I do, it must be important, because my house looks different since I’ve been sick for three days.  Now I’m beginning to feel better, so this week will be time for us to dig ourselves out of the sick-mommy mess. 

And now I need to get the twins down to bed, because that’s what well mommies do. 

No comments: