Saturday, September 12, 2009

Jeni Hits Yet Another Milestone, After Which She Hits the Bed

After a really crummy night of sleep, I awakened this morning not really wanting to get out of bed.  But Aimee was picking me up at 6:30, so I heaved myself up and got dressed.  On the way to the trails, we discussed our mutually crummy nights of sleep, and I for one was contemplating how not fun it was going to be to run 9 miles when I was already tired. 

We ended up hitting the trail after only two laps on the jogging track because of a cross country meet that was being held there. I was delighted to let the two men whom we often see on the trails past us—they would knock down the spider webs for us and I could drop my spider stick, which I normally carry like a torch in front of me so that my face isn’t getting the brunt of the webs across the trails. 

When we reached Tick-Check Meadow, we had to figure out what to run to get our mileage in, and we opted for a road that I imperfectly remembered from my map, and then we ran another short in-and-out trail to log another mile.  Turns out we didn’t run 9 miles—we ran 10!  I am now an official long-distance runner, and I celebrated by soaking myself in a cold tub followed by a hot shower and then a nap.  And later I napped with the twins.  I know some people run ten miles on a regular basis, so I’m hoping that my body gets used to it and I don’t have to nap all day to recover.  But think!  I ran off over 1000 calories before 10 a.m.  No wonder I was tired, and later, hungry.  And now, sore and hurting.  So off I go to bed, for the third time today. 

Happy Trails!

1 comment:

The Crazy Lady said...

SO impressed!!!!!