Tuesday, January 20, 2009

From The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald:

Adenville had a population of twenty-five hundred people, of which about two
thousand were Mormons and the rest Catholics and Protestants. Mormons and
non-Mormons had learned to live together with some degree of tolerance and
understanding by that time. But tolerance hadn't come easy for my oldest
brother, Sweyn, my brother Tom, and myself. Most of our playmates were
Mormon kids, but we taught them tolerance. It was just a question of us
all learning how to fight good enough for Sweyn to whip every Mormon kid his
age, Tom to whip every Mormon kid his age, and for me to whip every Mormon kid
my age in town. After all, there is nothing as tolerant and understanding
as a kid you can whip.

This book is next in the line of books I am going to read my children. I've decided since I am a failure at just about every other thing I've tried to teach them, I'm going to read to them. Right now I'm reading Understood Betsy, and I must read the second chapter to them tonight, because when I was reading it to them earlier, Mark called and said we must watch the inauguration.

I won't bore you or show my ignorance by saying any thing besides I was happy to see the historic event, and happy to see some of the world's finest musicians play together.

And now I need to go read.

2 comments:

MouseAnne said...

Understood Betsy is very good and both my boys enjoyed it.

The inauguration wasn't the best I've ever seen. His speech was typical to not offend anyone. The poet was horrible.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to the musicians. :)