Sunday, September 07, 2008

Stories are Finally Written, part 1

I will begin relating some of the stories that I've saved up in my mind as worthy of the blog. Hopefully none of them are repeats, but I've been told you lose half of your brain with every successive pregnancy....

The twins will occasionally announce what they are doing or want to do. Get into your mind the nasal baby voice, and then say to yourself: "Babies. Wing. High." or "Babies. Coloring." or "Babies. Painting." "Winging high" means to swing high, and I often pay boys Thompson bucks to go swing their sisters, which means the babies go very high indeed. If it is not too hot, I will put a chair between the two swings and push them myself, but Sadie prefers her brothers, because she is always telling me to "push. push. push."

And then there are Grace's fresh-eared bunnies. She had 5 what I thought were identical bunnies at one time. We lost one somewhere, but really, who needs even 4 bunnies. They do seem to hide at bath (laundry), nap, and bedtimes, but I finally wrangled them together and got them into the washing machine at the same time.

I gave her a nice, clean bunny that night at bedtime, only to be told it wasn't "fresh-eared". Not a problem, since I knew where three other bunnies were, but I had no idea what she meant by "fresh-eared" because they were all clean and whiter than usual. Then at miscellaneous times for the next few weeks, she would break down and cry because the bunny I found for her was wrong. AGH!

One day God gave me an extra measure of patience, and I used it up figuring out what on earth the girl meant by "fresh-eared." It has to do with the nap of the fabric in the ears. When you rub it one way it is smooth and the other way is rough. She always rubs from the head out toward the tips of the ears, and she likes it to be smooth. One bunny has no fresh ears, and might as well be thrown away. One bunny has two fresh ears and is the favorite. Two bunnies have one fresh ear, and they are fine, too. Just in case you have to put her to bed, don't say you haven't been warned. Oh, and if you cannot find any bunnies, sometimes Nathaniel's fresh-eared dog is an acceptable alternative.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to read an update on your happenings. Besides, you always give me a laugh.
I'll never forget the time Jessica told me, "Swing me high like daddy does!" UGH

Laura said...

:D I was telling Mike this morning about Grace's random "I just...you know...like to hang out...ride my bike...you know." He loved it. In fact he's appreciated all the stories I gathered from a couple days in your children's delightful company.

Stacy said...

LOVE this one! Love it!