I thought I'd better come back before all my possessions were auctioned off, as were Bilbo's in The Hobbit. I just finished reading it to the kids, and they (naturally) loved it.
I have been very, very busy with managing my household this year. Oh, I could write pages about that very topic, but I haven't the time or inclination at the moment.
Highlights of January:
3 (count them) 3 nights of uninterrupted sleep. The other 22 nights I've been awakened by some child for some reason.
A night away with Mark (the first in 5 years, and it accounts for 1 of my good nights of sleep). We went to see Annie, which I saw for the first time 25 years ago.
A trip to Urgent Care with Sophie, who was breathing very fast and shallow. Fortunately it was not pneumonia, but she had such trouble breathing that she wanted to sleep on me for about 4 nights. Fun times.
Sleeping with both Sadie and Sophie, because they both needed me.
A snow day. The boys' first real snow, and they had a blast.
Three good, solid weeks of academic work (even with all the sickness) so far.
Running my household well: getting the laundry, the cleaning, the schooling, and the meals done.
A night away to exercise in 29 degree weather under the most amazing clear sky. If I were a rich woman, I'd attend these exercise sessions all the time. It was hard, but fun.
One quick story before I go get the girls. Mark and I were discussing our children, and I mentioned that if any of our children would be reading at the age of three, it would be Sadie. Grace is now three, and doesn't show signs of reading readiness. Mark agreed, and said that while Grace would not be reading at 3, she did almost know the color red. Okay, maybe you had to be there, but I thought it was hilarious because our attempts at teaching her colors goes something like this:
Mommy: Grace, what color is this?
Grace: Green (it really is)
Mommy: What color is this?
G: Blue (correct again)
M: What color is this?
G: Orange, purple, pink, yellow, white, black (she knows them all)
M: What color is this?
G: Um, green. (no, it isn't)
M: Whose color is it?
G: Gracie's color, but I don't remember the name.
M: Rrrr (helping her out here)
G: Red! It's red.
M: Good job. What color is this? (pointing to another red thing)
G: Um, yellow.
AGHHHHHHHH.
Except that this morning she couldn't even remember whose color it was. Maybe when she's four...
6 comments:
maybe she's "red-blind." Is there such a thing? Bennett is of the other spectrum...everything is red!
Jeni, it was lovely to read this update! I have missed you in blog land, but I so understand why you aren't around much.. You are one busy Mama! So glad Sophie is ok.
Jennifer, I am so proud of you! God bless the work of your hands.
Yay, I'm glad you had time to blog again, and nice to hear more about the kids! Funny, Grace seemed to do pretty well with colors when I was there. Maybe I just only happened to point to her good colors! How long ago was the Sophie event, and is she totally better now?
Love and miss you all!
My mother in law experienced a similar problem with her son-- and he turned out to be color blind. He was like 5 or 6 when they figured it out after lots of frustration. It's very rare in girls, so I doubt that's it, but just a thought!
I think she's messing with you! :) Shan
Post a Comment