Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Learning is a Part of Life

Ben has been looking through a homeschool science catalog, and he wrote down all the things he wanted for his slime lab. It's a good thing I didn't let him buy them. I bought the Borax, laundry starch, and epsom salts for him at Wal*Mart, and after only one day of serious slime lab science, he has decided he doesn't like slime. Nate still likes slime, though, so maybe I'll buy the cool flask and other fun science-y stuff for him.

Now Ben is a paleontologist. He wrote "a note about dinosaurs" Friday night which was very funny. The only part I really remember is "and I, as a half-paleontologist, half-biologist, believe that man has seen a live dinosaur." For copywork, I tell him that he has the choice of writing out catechism questions and answers or scripture. He chose Job 41 yesterday, and wrote nearly the entire thing. He's also decided that he wants a paleontology birthday party...in five months. Never too early to plan.

Grace refuses to learn her color names. She only tells me whose color it is. "Oh, look! Nater's color" suffices for yellow, and "That's my color" means red, pink, or purple.

The babies are learning to behave in church. I realize I'm in a minority, but I really feel that babies and children should be with their parents in the worship service. That belief was put to the test with the birth of my twins. It wasn't easy. I usually would end up in the cry room and let them play on the floor with toys. Fine, I guess, for a time, but it wasn't bringing me closer to the goal of having them sit with us in church. So a couple of weeks ago we bit the bullet and began the training in earnest.

The first week was akin to wrestling a very loud alligator (not that I've actually wrestled an alligator, mind you, but it took all my strength and concentration, which I imagine alligator wrestling takes, also). I guess it really doesn't matter what you compare it to, I'm just happy to report the intensity served us well. This past week I had a different child on my lap. She sat still and the only problem I had was getting her to be quiet. Thanks to the prayers of many dear friends, success is near.

Sickness is also near. Bradford and Ben have had sore throats the last few days, Sophie and Sadie have diarrhea and bad rashes, and I feel nauseated (No, I am not pregnant). Not good, especially in light of the fact we are supposed to be in Tennessee this weekend for an anniversary shindig.

1 comment:

Tina said...

YEAH!! You're back! Glad to hear progress is being made with the twins.