I happened upon a very interesting debate on homeschooling via the sole homeschooling message board that I visit. The blogger was aghast at the thought of a Christian homeschooler teaching her children missionary stories in the flow of history. 85 comments later, no one is convinced of anyone else's position. Some people think homeschoolers are weird, and they still think it. One guy thinks children should have teachers who don't love them (not lying about this!), and he still thinks it. One thinks Christian homeschoolers are nut-cases, but still thinks we should put our children in schools so that not all the good kids are gone. Ad nauseum.
Every once in awhile something like this will cause me to stop and examine what I do and why I do it.
We homeschool. Anyone looking in on us may not see a lot happening in the way of traditional seatwork, but foundations for future learning are being laid, and real learning is going on. We have a goal, and we have a plan to reach that goal, and Mark and I are jointly responsible to make sure that it happens. I meet my state's requirements, and beyond that no one has any business to pry or criticize what I do.
Maybe another day I'll list the myriad of wonderful reasons to homeschool and why I believe it to be far superior to public or private school. (Is it always?)
Maybe another day I'll actively recruit more people into the homeschooling camp. (Who would that benefit?)
Maybe another day I'll rant against the sorry state of public education. (Will it help?)
But not today.
I used to do all the above, plus try to convince people to switch to using my favorite curriculum. But not anymore. I'll gladly tell someone what I'm doing or using if that person is genuinely interested, but I'm no longer on a campaign.
I'm learning not to care what other people are doing. I trust that they also have goals for their children, and a plan to reach those goals, and they, not I, are responsible for their families.
Okay. Carry on.
3 comments:
God bless you. You mature. And now I think there are others watching you, perchance to copy you. May God use you to teach many more besides your six.
Great blog post, Jeni. I appreciate what N did (though I didn't read any of it!) because she stood for something she believes in. I tend to feel like you that it will not matter much or change a person's mind. But at the same time I think, God uses so many things we would never expect him to use--for His glory, for His children's good.
Sometimes I feel like it is enough to stand for my Savior at any time--to stand up and be counted for being a child of God.
I had a debate of sorts on the same board with someone over evolution/creation. It is impossible to convince someone of my position because while I think the evidence points to my viewpoint, it is truly by faith --a gift of God--that I believe it with such strength. Does that make me a fool? In some people's eyes I guess it does. But at the same time, I am grateful to be able to express that faith. You know what I mean?
Anyway--I think the key is (as Kenny Rogers has said) you have to know when to walk away. There are those times too.
I am blessed by your blog. Thanks, Jeni. :+)
Warmly,
Kate
Some friends of ours (who were with Wycliffe) gave me a box of missionary biographies when I was a kid. I devoured them, but never imagined I would be a missionary. . .
Post a Comment