Wednesday, October 25, 2006

We Acclimate to the Weather

God is so good to us. Here we are, Floridians in body, transplanted to a colder climate. It usually takes awhile to get acclimated, but God wanted us to make the transition faster. How does He accomplish His purpose? Our furnace is not working.

Brrr. Yesterday it was 58 degrees in my house. My fingers were stiff as I worked on the computer. We had a repair man out yesterday afternoon, and the furnace worked okay until sometime in the middle of the night, for it was 58 degrees again this morning. I did what the repair guy did, and the furnace kicked on to get the inside temperature up to a balmy 63, then promptly died, meager attempts at resuscitation being wholly ineffective.

You don't read this blog to find out about pets and furnaces, however, so I'll fill you in on kid stuff. Right now the boys are snuggled into our guest bed watching Singin' in the Rain, and I'm feeding Sophie. If I look down at her, she smiles at me. Rascal. Sadie is asleep in the warmer upstairs, and Grace is with me in the room being a toddler, i.e. walking around in her brother's boots.

The boys are enjoying their homeschool classes on Tuesdays. Nathaniel comes home each week with such interesting information as worms can't see or hear and there are worms that weigh 3 pounds. Ben usually tells me how to do some fun thing like make volcanoes or make craters in flour. Bradford just brings home his projects and a sometimes a ruined shirt.

As for schooling at home, not much is being done on a regular basis here yet. I was hoping to begin in earnest in October, but it now looks like November may be more realistic. When I don't get much sleep and it's cold inside it's hard to stay motivated. I'm still working on getting a schedule together that will work for us, but babies who sleep through the night and require less attention in the day are a prerequisite.

There are new pictures in the Family Photo Album. Go enjoy them. I hope to get pictures of the house and yard and van taken soon, but don't hold your breath. And since I can see mine, I'm going upstairs...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how big the twins are!! And so beautiful! Grace's outfit is just precious too.
Can you believe I am STILL pregnant??? I feel overdue, but still have 4 days. Thanks for the pictures and try to stay warm.
Love,
Tina

Susan said...

Today it was uncommonly warm. Deliciously so. I wore a long-sleeve shirt and a fleece vest and donned a headband and gloves when I stepped outside. It was between 35 and 45 all day.

Count your blessings.