Wednesday, July 26, 2006

the Children Play Games

What do you get when you send four children armed with markers into a basement that has metal folding chairs in it? -- a big noise, but thankfully I can't hear it very well since I am not in the basement. Yesterday they had a plastic swimming pool to beat upon as well as the chairs, but some wise person put that away.

Last week when all the kids were with us in the car for longer than they cared to be, Bradford took charge of entertainment. The game went something like this: Bradford pulled out a piece of his hair, and whichever brother said he wanted it first got it. Ben and Nathaniel were very pleased with this game, and Nathaniel decided the way to win was to keep saying "me, me, me, me..." until the hair was plucked. They played this game for about ten minutes or so, and at one point Bradford commented that the game would be over when he was bald. Then Bradford changed the rules for winning-- you had to say "I do" after he asked who wanted it instead of "me." Nathaniel didn't catch this in time and lost that particular round, much to his displeasure. Then, after the hair-pull game had gone on for about 15-20 minutes, Ben, with enough hair in hand to fashion a small rodent, asked, "Bradford, what am I supposed to do with all this hair?" And then we were home and the game officially ended.

Another fun game is "Carpet." My mom has lots of scatter rugs, and the point is to begin on the stairway and jump from carpet to carpet until you get to the stove.

And lastly, with three-count them!- three laptop computers in my parents' living room, they have discovered the joys of playing on-line games. Veggie-Tales, PBS Kids, Colonial Williamsburg and Disney have all been visited. Since there is basically no redeeming value to this kind of computer game, I try to limit it to when I am too tired to think and when Grandma needs help entertaining the kids when I'm away at appointments or taking a rest.

3 comments:

MouseAnne said...

Liam has also become attached to computer games since visiting grandma. His favorite game is getting the colonial guy thrown into the pillory. We also let him go to playhouse Disney once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

ROFLOL!! Bradford's creativity never fails to amaze and amuse me! But please tell him not to pluck himself bald, I really don't think it would suit him!

Anonymous said...

any day now you'll be in your own home with your baby at the breast and all the kids happily staking their own territories. Bradford will not be bald, but a little more mature. Grace will be potty training SET. And these halcyon days will be forgot.

Love ya.