We finally broke down and got the Christmas tree yesterday. The carload of things we had to return to Home Depot gave us more than enough money to purchase our tree. And it wasn't a horrible experience. First, we looked at carpet samples for ideas for the upstairs bedrooms and stairs. The inexpensive dirt-colored ones were my personal favorites for practical reasons. Then we trekked out to get the tree. We did not open up 34 trees in quest of the perfect tree this year; we chose the first one I pulled out without looking at any others.
Mark left to go work on his research paper and the boys helped me with Christmas decorations. The older two really got into climbing the ladder to hang decorations, and Nathaniel showed particular fondness for a certain lower branch. The result is a trail of ornaments up the path of the ladder and one over-burdened limb. I guess I'll fix it later. Or not. I remember my mom smiling while my sister and I absolutely ruined the look of our tree by hanging a gazillion icicles on it. So what's a few oddly placed ornaments? Grace loved it. Not being part of the decorating team due to her afternoon nap, she was very surprised to see the decorated tree when she awakened.
Mom, remember those stupid singing stuffed animals you gave us last year? Well, I put them in a box with a bunch of other things I was hoping would be carried away by a tornado, but no tornado came, and the boys found them. Thanks.
The highlight of yesterday (for the boys) was not the decorating, but going to my neighbor's garage sale. How funny. She apologized that she didn't have any kid-type stuff, but I assured her they would enjoy looking at the stuff regardless. They sure did. Ben bought a "clear mailbox caddy" for a nickel and a ceramic mug for a dime. Nate got a basket of miniature Easter eggs for a dime and a mug like Ben's for a dime. Bradford really hit paydirt. He came away with a mug, sports ball shaped corn-on-cob holders, and a 6-piece condiment set. The condiment set is a miniature umbrella on a stand that opens over ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper containers. I was given the salt and pepper shakers, and the open holes were just perfect for Baby Baba and Racky. I'll eventually post of picture of the contraption.
For Jo, written with much help from my husband:
1)7 Things I Want to See or Do Before I Die (answered by Mark for Jeni)
Iceland
Move
Have a Half Dozen more kids
Climb a mountain in Alaska
England
Germany
Stand naked in my back yard without being seen by neighbors (this is a deliberate misinterpretation on the part of my husband-- I have always said that I wanted to be ABLE to do this, but NEVER that I wanted to do it!)
2)7 Things I Cannot Do
Convince my husband to move to Iceland
Move
Have a half dozen more kids
Convince my husband that Alaska would be the perfect place to live
Indulge in sugar without ill-effect
Eat chocolate without Nathaniel noticing
Do anything (fully clothed) without being seen by many neighbors
3)7 Things That Attracted Me to My Husband (Mark refused to help me with this one after I vetoed "Hairy Legs" and "Long Toe Nails")
His ability to play the piano
His godliness
His way with teaching kids
His desire to homeschool his own children
His height
His sense of humor
His discernment
4)7 Things That I Say Most Often
That is NOT a toy!
Get out. I do not need your help.
Shut up, dogs.
Idiot teenage driver.
Not for GracE.
If I find this toy downstairs again, I will throw it away.
Clean up this mess.
5)7 Books/Series That I Love
everything by Jane Austen
Chronicles of Narnia
After the Flood
Mathematics: Is God Silent?
Lord of the Rings
Frog and Toad
The Importance of Being Ernest
6) 7 Movies That I Could Watch and Watch
Pride and Prejudice and all films based on Jane Austen books
Lord of the Rings
Calamity Jane
My Fair Lady
Bringing Up Baby (I was born on the side of a hill)
Singing in the Rain (and I caaan't stan' im)
Scarlet Pimpernel (the only movie I have actually watched three times in one day)
7)7 People I Want to Do This Silly Thing
the seven people who read my blog
4 comments:
Ooooh that was fabulous!!!! Thank you for sharing, Mark and Jeni!!! What a great list. You guys are so witty!!! :) Will call soon.
~Jo
Hey, what about Scarlet Pimpernel?
Wait...do what?
Good eye, Becky. (Must have been from all that practice looking at yourself in the mirror.) I did type Scarlet Pimpernel and evidently deleted it. I'll go make that change right now.
And what exactly are you questioning, Kilby?
Post a Comment