Monday, October 24, 2005

The Internet Is Our Only Means of Communication

We don't own a phone that doesn't require electricity, and who knows when we will get power back. I'll probably check email only once a day in order to conserve battery power.

During the storm we all stayed in our bedroom, which was on the lee side of the wind. On my get-ready-for-the-hurricane trip to Walmart I purchased the game "Let's Go Fishin'," and it came in very handy when the boys started to get antsy. I also read to them a bit. During the windiest part of the storm we sat in our vanity area and played guessing games.

Our house and property sustained damage, but nothing out of the ordinary. The roof is down to plywood in many places. Our shingles and tar paper are now scattered about the neighborhood, and Bradford wants to add them to his collection of shingles from Katrina.

Grace's room has trash cans and plastic bins strategically placed to receive most of the water drip-drip-dripping from her light fixtures. Many wet spots on the ceiling, and several places in other parts of the house were dripping water during the worst of the storm. Only later will we know the extent of the damage.

Lots of trees are down in the neighborhood. One of our trees is down, and many more branches. The part of the fence that Mark and my dad did not replace is now on top of my garden. Mark is vindicated--if he hadn't brought the caterpillars in last night, they would now be smashed. My neighbor Julie brought over her milkweed plant so the poor things won't starve.

Grace is down for what may be her last nap in her bedroom for awhile. The boys are out now surveying the damage. It's still pretty gusty, and the temperature is a balmy 73.

As I said last night, God is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You absolutely amaze me.

Okay, first of all, I just want to say that I was amazed... AMAZED... to see this post of yours. I am so thrilled that you have phone service. I have tried to call you! But, of course, it did not work and I did not reach you.

But last night when there were tornadoes tearing through Ft. Lauderdale I was just so upset for you. I am so very glad that you are all okay, and I am SO very sorry that you sustained damage. Your blog posts are so incredibly inspirational that I just want to print them out and put them in my Bible. I wish I had one tenth your faith and stability.

I am SO sorry, SOOO sorry to hear of your damage. The only comfort I can offer is that next year, this damage in your area will probably drive the selling price of your house even HIGHER because raw building materials will be even scarcer. Little comfort now, I'm afriad, but it's what happened last year.

I wish I lived close enough to bring you my phone-that-doesn't-require-electricity and some extra milkweed for the pets. I am so grateful that you could blog. I'm so glad you guys are okay. You are such an inspiration.

~Jo's Boys

Anonymous said...

You absolutely amaze me.

Okay, first of all, I just want to say that I was amazed... AMAZED... to see this post of yours. I am so thrilled that you have phone service. I have tried to call you! But, of course, it did not work and I did not reach you.

But last night when there were tornadoes tearing through Ft. Lauderdale I was just so upset for you. I am so very glad that you are all okay, and I am SO very sorry that you sustained damage. Your blog posts are so incredibly inspirational that I just want to print them out and put them in my Bible. I wish I had one tenth your faith and stability.

I am SO sorry, SOOO sorry to hear of your damage. The only comfort I can offer is that next year, this damage in your area will probably drive the selling price of your house even HIGHER because raw building materials will be even scarcer. Little comfort now, I'm afriad, but it's what happened last year.

I wish I lived close enough to bring you my phone-that-doesn't-require-electricity and some extra milkweed for the pets. I am so grateful that you could blog. I'm so glad you guys are okay. You are such an inspiration.

~Jo's Boys