Thursday, April 21, 2005

Days Spent With My Boys

I recently read an article about school system in Oregon that is wooing students back to the classroom. Evidently some people in the county are vehement about the issue: one said that homeschool parents should stop thinking about their own convenience [emphasis mine] and do the good and right thing and put their children in public school. The upshot was the school system gets $5000 for every child enrolled in their schools, and this town's schools thought they needed more money.

Convenient?!?!?!? Homeschooling is a lot of things, but convenient is not one of them. My house is always a mess, the laundry is never done, and supper is often an after-thought; my garden mostly lies neglected, I rarely get to talk with adults during the day, and I've got no time for exercise without children. No, it is NOT convenient.

Don't get me wrong, there are challenges, but I do not ever want to put my boys into school. If I did, I would miss too much of their lives. For instance, if Benjamin went to school, I wouldn't know that he enjoys getting in my dryer. I wouldn't get to tell stories about Bradford, Benjamin, and Nathaniel and the alligator with a hurt tooth. I wouldn't get to go to a park with friends when the weather is beautiful. I'd have to water my plants alone. I wouldn't be sitting on the bed during quiet time listening to "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" and teaching Ben the proper way to sing "My Aunt Came Back."

On a different subject, I just love the Internet. I saw these weird things on my milkweed plant, and after 5 minutes of searching, I found out they are oleander aphids.

I was thinking I had something of import to write, but it is hard to concentrate while Wee Sing is blaring. Till a quieter quiet time, then.

1 comment:

Kilby said...

Wow... I wouldn't want to give that much money to any invalid socialistic government institution, much less such a completely wasteful, foolish, and just plain evil (*looks around*) one as the public school system!! Go Jeni!