Friday, January 14, 2005

Benjamin Gets the Mumps and Other Exciting Things Happen

Yes, my dear ole Benji has the mumps. At least, I think he does. Only time and more symptoms will tell. Chances are high that Nathaniel will get it, too, since he wasn't immunized as an infant. So until further notice, we are basically out of commission.

I think Ben may be ready for logic classes. Today there was a question about who ate a piece of Nathaniel's candy. I asked Nathaniel if he ate it, and he said no. Same question to Bradford, same response. When I asked Ben, he responded, "What do you think? If Nathaniel didn't eat it, and Bradford didn't eat it, and you and Gracey and daddy didn't eat it, who is left?"

Ben's also very concrete. When asked what he would say to our neighbor when he returned her bag of Chex Mix, he told Mark, "here." Then tonight, when asked how Samson's life ended, he said, "he died."

To keep this post from becoming too Bennish, I'll write something about Bradford. He is forever making and building things. His latest is pop-up books. He's very interested in how they work, so he makes his own. I've got a budding engineer on my hands, and if I can keep him out of Bradford forest long enough to teach him some basics, he'll do very well.

Forget the concrete slab. Tomorrow Mark goes to pick up sand, dirt, and pavers. Monday, he puts in a back patio. My job will be to keep the kids out of his way. I think my task will be more trying on the nerves.

No comments: